• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchor's

Deemo

There are a huge variety of anchors on the market today. I will be buying a new one this spring and having a hard time narrowing it down.

Any of you have one on your boat that you like? The one on my last boat did the job but it weighed alot and when we brought it back up it brought half the lake up with it. Mud and weeds all over the boat is a pain.

Also how long of a line do you need? My boat is a 17ft Alumacraft tournament Pro.

Deemo,

I have an 1800 ProV and I keep two styles of anchors on it.
On the bow I use a Water Spike on 100ft. of 1/2" rope with a large clip on the end to clip onto my bow. Rope length is key for a good hold on any bottom type, e.g. Mud or Rocks.

I get way above (Up-wind) of my intended anchor position and drop the anchor, spike side down, I let out a good 25ft. before I even attempt to make it "set" onto the bottom. Once I feel it grab I let out the rest of my desired rope and either tie-off on a bow clip or just hook onto the bow with the clip.

I then drop my 2nd. anchor off either side of the stern to keep the boat properly positioned and prevent the inevetable drift you experience with only one anchor. My stern anchor is a 15lb. Rubber coated mushroom-style with 50ft. of 1/2" rope.

This may sound like like over-kill to some, but I hate coming loose all the time in wind and spending all of my time re-positioning the boat. You literally have to start over again once you break free of your anchor point--what a drag!

I hope this helps grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Speaking of funny, last year my little sister, her fiance, and I got caught in the rain. My sister began to hurriedly pull up the anchor. 10 minutes later, we are all soaked and she's still struggling. Finally, mud splattering all over she pulled the anchor into the boat. Mud and weeds were all over the front half of the boat as well as all over my sister. God was she a sight!! I'm amazed she's still getting married! Good luck on finding a good anchor.

Buy a power anchor winch if at all possible. A couple of years ago I inherited my Grandpa's boat and he had one on it. It is one of the slickest things I have ever used. It makes moving around a breeze. Much easier than having to move to the anchor line and pulling it up and pulling the weeds up to move and start the whole process over. I bought a new(to me) boat last fall and it came with one on it. I'm thinking about putting my other one on the transom somehow to have two power anchors. How nice would that be!! They really are nice though.

There is one thats called Digger Anchor company. Yank the rope and the flukes release letting go of the bottom and dumping the sand weeds ect.

Looking at another one from richter anchor. Looks like a pretty sweet unit also. No rust and has a coated body to help keep the junk off.

The Digger one looks alot like the water spike u all mentioned. Anyone have one of these anchors?

I have 2 digger anchors - they work if you are not in large waves, the waves will jerk the feet of the anchor so it will let loose eventially. My dad has a waterspike he loves it, however he has also lost two already - they really dig in. By the way my boat is a 16.75 Lund Pro Sport, dads is a Lund 17 something.
Keep smiling.

Not bragging but I was lucky enought to find one of the digger anchors ( special eddition) on green lake last year while scubadiving that's one thing I find alot of
I must have 25 anchors from 5lb to 35lb from mushroom to river anchors.need one let me know

scubajpd, My dad sure could use a anchor. Last year I lost his out on Nest lake while fishing.
A water spike looks like it would be a good anchor.

------------------
"I got a bite..."

I have a Richter anchor that has worked well for me on Mille Lacs. I noticed they are now being sold at Cabela's. Before I had only seen them at sport shows. Get a good anchor, but enough rope is definitely the key.

I will be at the ole mill on May 3 puting docks in let me know what weight you would like I have 3 river anchors 15#-20#and five bell 5#-15# and a couple light weight generic digger.may find more that day plan to make a dive that afternoon.let me know
I can bring some with soyou can take your pick.
Good fishin
jimBo

[This message has been edited by scubajpd (edited 04-07-2003).]