• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

conoe vs. float tube

I have a truck with a 6'6'' trunk bed. To transport a conoe i will need a trailer or one of those dilio's that connect to my trunk bed so i can strap a conoe to the roof of my truck. I find used conoes for $250-1k and Im looking for a conoe to bass fish out of and can fit 1-4 people but more of just 2 people. I will also need to get it registered and also need paddles and lifejacket and an anchor. All the stuff i need including the conoe will cost me alot. A float tube or belly boat can cost up to the same as a used conoe but they are very portable and do not need to be registered. Float tube and swimming fins for the feet cost less than a conoe and the [PoorWordUsage] i will need to get for it. Im a very cheap guy. Im looking to get into the water further out and looking for whats best i like the tubes because of there size but the conoe has faster transportation tube cost less conoe cost more tube is more portable conoe is safer tube dosnt have to be registered conoe does tube cant go out into deeper water conoe can tube is unsafe in rivers conoes are not..... uhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! help me come up with a solution to all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im a shore angler who fishes anytime i can usually fish weekend all day if fish are bitting hard all day and if not will fish for about only a few hours and weekdays i will fish after school or until i have the car to barrow and fish for around 2-4 hours until sunset or dark night. and im a LARGEMOUTH BASS angler!!!!!!!

first of all, its called a Canoe. not conoe.

and you can get foam pads for about $20, and some rachet straps for about $30, that you can use to put the canoe on top of your truck cab. paddles can be pretty cheap as well, plastic Carlisle ones will run you $40 for two. registering is $25 every three years.

any way you cut it you will probably have to spend some money if you want to get off shore. thats the name of the game

Get a canoe.

Life jacket you will need either way.

Anchor you will need either way if your planning on staying still

Paddles can be found for under $20

A canoe can be sold for almost the same price you bought it for, maybe more.

Get some foam blocks and straps, your truck will be fine.

In a canoe, you can carry a real tackle box, a cooler, a net (if you want to fish for other species mostly)

Reasons for not getting a tube:

Cant put more than one person on a tube

Cant go to the other side of a lake on a tube

Cant bring a women out on your tube

Cant head into the BWCA with a tube.

Tubes can pop/degrade/leak

You have to get wet in a tube. (Fine in July, not so fine in Oct)

I agree about the pros of a canoe but I'm guessing Nature is a young guy without any extra cash. I've seen float tubes before made out of foam. Nothing fancy but it might work for you. You could also go real old school and hit fleet farm for an inner tube. I've used a float tube before and I have to say that there is something more thrilling about being almost eye to eye with the fish when you're landing it.

One thing to keep in mind with float tubes is that it's easy to get across the lake when the wind is in your favor but not so easy to get back. Don't venture out too far from shore. Probably wouldn't need to since you're a bass angler.

Have you checked any websites that have stuff for sale? This HSOforum's classifieds or a list by a guy named Craig.

That one guy Craig has a great list of stuff too!

I have fished pretty extensively out of both. I also do some bass fishing. I would say this. If you are by yourself it is easier to get into and stay in position in a float tube than it is in a canoe.

Okay, I'm siding with the float tube..

I have one I paid about 150 for and it came with flippers.. I do most of my fishing alone, so a float tube is awesome, I enjoy being in the water with waders or swimmin trunks on.. I load it right in my freestyle easily, i can't go where canoes go, unless I find access near there, they are bulky and I hate strapping it down.. I have tons of pockets on my tube, have a small anchor too. If the fish aren't biting I can just go somewhere else quickly..

I wear a life jacket only if I'm in deeper water or a lot of boat traffic is around. I'm a flyfisherman for bass and panfish but also use spin cast also, and I couldn't be happier..

Okay, I'm siding with the float tube..

I have one I paid about 150 for and it came with flippers.. I do most of my fishing alone, so a float tube is awesome, I enjoy being in the water with waders or swimmin trunks on.. I load it right in my freestyle easily, i can't go where canoes go, unless I find access near there, they are bulky and I hate strapping it down.. I have tons of pockets on my tube, have a small anchor too. If the fish aren't biting I can just go somewhere else quickly..

I wear a life jacket only if I'm in deeper water or a lot of boat traffic is around. I'm a flyfisherman for bass and panfish but also use spin cast also, and I couldn't be happier..

+1 for everything you said.

I have both. The only reason I would go with the canoe is if you plan on bringing somebody else along.