• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

old recurves

I recently saw an add from a guy buying old recurve bows. I'm curious if anyone has any info on just how collectable/valuable these things are.

I've got an old recurve hanging in my garage that my Dad bought back in the late 50's or early 60's. It looks kinda cool where it's hanging and I'm not desperate for cash, BUT if it were actually valuable enough to add another G-Loomis to my collection, I'd consider selling it.

Any info appreciated.

is there any way you could post a few pictures of the bow, or tell us some more information about the bow. some makes are more collectable, and are worth more than others. if the bow is still safe to shoot, it will be worth more than one that just hangs on the wall.

Like a lot of things some recurves are worth more than others. And saddly enough they are only worth a lot to some people and to others they are worthless. Most older recurves sell between $20 and $200.

If you look on the back and the belly somewere on one or the other will be listed the manufacturer of the bow as well as the make. On the side of the riser is usually a serial # and a draw weight. For obvious reasons "hunting" weights of 40+lbs get more on the market than the under 35lb area.

I used to focus most of my attention on Pearsons. I have bought, rehabed, and sold dozens of them in the past. But as the popularity of the auction sights, antique markets, and the like prices have gone way way up for good quality items. There are also a lot of people thinking they are sitting on a gold mine want hundreds of dollars for something that is not worth it.

When I lost my job I had to sell all but a couple of my bows frown Keeping only a couple of my favorites a '65 Bear Kodiak in original condition, and a Ben Pearson Spoiler that I did a lot of custom sanding and rasping to.

Some more information about what you have as far as make, model, draw weight, condition, etc. will make things easier to help you with. A picture or two may help out as well.

I still love old recurves. Long bows too, but recurves offer more to play with. Sanding them down, and refinishing, new custom flemish twist stings. Makes a guy wish he had more time and more people willing to part with them for the $20 a guy used to be able to buy them for back in the day. (late '90's and early to mid 00's)

...Keeping only a couple of my favorites a '65 Bear Kodiak...

Neighbor_guy, I have to ask-- what's a '65 Bear Kodiak worth these days?

I have my dad's '72 Bear Superkodiak that I occasionally shoot. I also have a band new 2010 Hoyt Maxxis. I'm pretty sure the Superkodiak is worth more than the Maxxis! ...at least that's what I've been told.

The bow I have has cream colored limbs and a wood grain pattern at the handle. Only markings of consequence say "PINTO" and there is a picture of an Indian on a horse.

Like I said previously, I'm not over anxious to sell this, and won't if it can't buy me at least an IMX.

Those Pinto's are a nice looking bow. Very easy on the eye's. There is one over on "the bay" right now at $30. You could check back on it and see what it sells for. Its a few days out.

Neighbor_guy, I have to ask-- what's a '65 Bear Kodiak worth these days?

I have my dad's '72 Bear Superkodiak that I occasionally shoot. I also have a band new 2010 Hoyt Maxxis. I'm pretty sure the Superkodiak is worth more than the Maxxis! ...at least that's what I've been told.

Scoot- I am not sure what a '65 Kodiak goes for now days. You dont see a lot of them sold, there are plenty of Kodiak Magnums around, but they do not bring the same value as the Kodiak. I once turned down $1200 cash from a vender at a shoot in Coon Rapids (it was my only bow at the time and wanted to shoot all three loops). I had another guy offer me a grand at Chilikoot. After that I figured it best to keep that one on the rack. That was '01 when everyone had tons of cash and loved to spend it. I doubt it would sell for that nowdays.

The SuperKodiak is an offspring of the Kodiak only newer design, but essentialy the same bow. Little smoother, different wood/glass. The Grayling bows can bring a lot of money sometimes. The market has been down on them lately, but it can swing up (way up) if you get a couple of collectors in a bidding war.

The way I figure it, a bow is only worth what you are willing to spend to buy it back.

I would not use your bow as a bowfishing bow, (mabe wink )... but only you know its real "value".