• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aggressive behavior

WalleyeDrifter

My 12 month old female lab is a sweetheart around people but sometimes is aggressive around other dogs. We walk her on leash several times a day and sometimes when we encounter other dogs she growls and snarls at the other dogs. It doesn't seem to matter if the other dogs are on leash or not. When it happens, I immediately grab her and put her on the ground on her back until she is calm. Does anyone have other ideas to help stop this behavior?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Putting her on the ground on her back does little for you.

If she pays attention to you in those situations, a quick correction, stay calm and confidant, get in her face, make sure you have her attention and keep it until she sits down and displays a calm disposition.

Everytime she does it repeat this until she gives up on her attempts to display dominance. You are the domoinant one and she is not allowed those displays.

I would bet any money this is not a dominance problem but more likely a fear issue. Your dog is most likely uncomfortable around other dogs and lacking some social skills. Her natural reaction in this situation is to put on a threat display to try and intimidate the other dog from approaching any closer. If you become nervous as another dog approaches she is going to sense this and it will add to her anxiety. You need to stay calm and confident in these situation to establish yourself as a leader and someone she can look to for guidance, when your calm it will help her remain calm. Forcing her onto her back is not going to do anything but increase her anxiety, stop that. Now if you have your dog walking correctly on a leash, which would be at a heel or behind you, its very easy to take control of the situation and your dogs movements because your body is there to act as a barrier. You cannot control a dog that is in front of you on a walk. Now as your going along and a dog approaches you can either pivot and step out in front of the dog blocking its path or have the dog sit and step in front of it. Whatever you do, you should be in front of the dog, have its attention and be a barrier between you and the oncoming canine. Your now controlling her space and movement. By doing this your establishing leadership in a calm way and are going to have far better results. Keep your dogs focus until the strange dog passes and you can continue walking. I would also recommend working your dog in an area were there are other leashed dogs so she can learn to be more comfortable in their presence. Key word her is other LEASHED dogs, dogs that are loose and run up to her are going to set her back. Start at a distance and move closer and closer as she progresses. If possible try to approach dogs from behind, its far less confrontational then two dogs coming face to face. Then work on passing face to face with her attnetion directed to you. A "leave it" command works wonders too if he focus starts to stray towards the other dogs. Good luck!

I see you are up in the Duluth area. I would suggest you go out to the Duluth Retriever Club and look up my friend Moses. I believe who could help you. Also, while you are there your dog might gain some social skills by being around other dogs.

GOOD LUCK, I hope you can work it out.

Putting her on the ground on her back does little for you.

I agree. This is not the way to deal with this.

Lot's of dogs display fear/aggression when on leash because they feel they have no escape. They're trapped, so they lash out.

Biggest things is for you to stay calm, cool, and confident. I have seen it a lot--dogs freak out because the owner is nervous. Correct her and try to keep her attention on you. Block her with your body if need be. Sometimes, a knuckle in her shoulder will get her attention.

Another thing I see a lot--owners saying "it's okay, Fido, it's okay." No, it's not okay. Use a NO or LEAVE IT. Saying "it's okay" is just telling the dog that it's reaction is acceptable.

Like everyone else has said leash aggression is almost always a fear issue which may have come from a lack of socialization.

Putting the dog on its back when this happens will put him in an even more vulnerable position which will add to his fear. The best you could hope for from this technique would be to create a overly submissive dog that cowers in fear (still not good). It certainly won't solve the fear issue itself.

Others have given some advice on how to handle it but I would encourage you to take your dog into a trained professional for assistance. I know in the Twin Cities there are a number of good trainers who work specifically with leash aggression and socialization. This is something that you want to address and you want to make sure you address it properly.

It will likely be a slow process as you'll need to build up the dogs confidence. A trainer should be able to help you put the dog in situations where you can slowly build the dog up to the point you can meet another dog face to face on a leash. You'll want to take it in steps and that is where the trainer can help. They can also help you to know what to do when the behavior occurs or how to see it coming and avoid it in the first place.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've stopped putting the pup on her back. The problem has not gotten any better but I feel I've learned some things. I've got her enrolled in a beginner class with a trainer that feels she can help take care of the problem within several weeks. My pup was spayed last Thursday. People have told me that the spay will also take some of the edge off. That may take 6 to 8 weeks to kick in. She is a sweet puppy but the aggressive behavior really concerns me.