• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any solo trippers?

I know duffman has got his solo boat, but I was wondering if there is anyone else who's done a solo trip?

I've done a solo winter trip into the BWCA and I really want to make a solo summer trip this year. I've got all the gear, but I've never used a solo boat. I've got a Souris RIver 17' that I love!!, but its not really a solo boat, even if I drive from the bow etc.

I've never tried a solo boat and wanted to give it a shot.

Any thoughts?

I've gone solo numerous times. Just because someone else can't make the trip doesn't mean I'm not going. Anyway, my first solo trip was in my dad's old aluminum 16 footer. It's worked for me quite well, but is a bit of a tank. Since then my canoes have gotten larger, a 17 and an 18.5, both aluminum. They work for me. If I could afford it, I'd go with an ultralight but I can't so I make do. I have found that a kayak paddle makes a huge difference for solo paddling. If you're reluctant to spend the money on a paddle, I'll loan you one of mine. I'm on your way up there. I think you'll be sold on them.

A couple things, go hit one of the local paddle days at MM or the other outdoor store and paddle a solo boat. They handle differently and are a lot of fun but you should get a taste for how they trim up and what it takes to roll one over.

My annual BW trip always seems to end up with an odd number so we rent a solo for 20-25 a day out of our outfitter/baitshop in Ely. This is a great way to get to paddle a $2000.00, 18 lb boat and not have to skip a mortgage payment.

I agree with the above post about trying a kayak paddle. I'm personally not a fan but I know very good, experienced canoe paddlers that prefer the double blade in a solo boat. If you rent a canoe, the outfitter will probably give you both to play with.

have fun!

Powerstroke....

Have you tried paddling your SR fully loaded solo? If you are just looking for a solo experience without a "solo" canoe, I'd just go with what you got and stick to smaller water. That's all I've been doing lately, find a destination on small water that's a few miles or 2-3 hrs in and basecamping.

You sound like you have plenty of paddling experience, 10 minutes in a solo canoe to get used to it, and I'd think you would be good to go. Rent one, give it a try. I love the personal freedom I have with mine, I can see why kayaks are gaining in popularity, you don't have to rely on others to get out and have a good time.

Put me in the anti-kayak paddle camp, I did not like it. Started bringing a bent shaft instead of a kayak paddle as a spare two trips ago.

The problem with my SR17 is that there is a metal brace behind the bow seat. I've been told I can remove it for a more comfortable seat, but I'm wary.

I've got plenty of lakes around me so maybe I'll try it out a few times.

I'm very excited about doing a solo. Red-I might have to take you up on that offer. I've never tried the kayak paddle but I've heard lots of people use them. I prefer a bent shaft for canoeing, but I realize solo is a whole new game.

I've done a few solo trips and I also recommend sticking to smaller waters....I'm not sure if it's just me, but wind gives me fits in my solo (which is a Bell CJ). It can get pretty hairy for me on big lakes (or on medium-sized lakes when there's a big wind), so I usually try to keep off the bigget lakes unless I'm doing a night paddle or a super-early morning paddle.

I see a lot of folks either killing themselves on single portages (a guy I was up in the BWCA last week carried his Penobscot 16, a big pack on his back, and his day pack in front of him, all to avoid double portaging) or double portaging. Depending on your preferences, I've found the ultralight backpacking gear to be wonderful for letting me have the best of both worlds--comfort in camp without double-hauling portages. And I have too much respect for my ankles to toss two bags on and my canoe at the same time. Just my .02.

I own a few solo boats (was in the business) and when I choose to take a tandem on a solo trip, I start by replacing the stern thwart with a kneeling thwart. There seem to be some decent recourses out there with a simple Google search of "kneeling thwart". The nice thing is that it doesn’t really affect the load carrying ability of most boats and it puts you near enough to the center of the canoe without sticking you into the widest point of it. Nothing worse than having to reach around the center of a tandem loosing paddling efficiency while blackening up your knuckles. Its also nice for those trips when you’re not alone, to fetch water solo, or when the wife has her nose in a book and you want to paddle.

Powerstroke -

Is it a SR Quetico 17 that you have? If so, I've got the same canoe. It is true that you can remove the bow thwart to convert that canoe to a solo craft. I've done it many times and it works great. It's not the same as kneeling in the middle of the canoe, but just put some weight up front and you should be fine.

Winter Trip?

We just got back with our SR17 last night. It was spectacular although there were a few windy and rainy days.

I've paddled a SR16 set up solo and it handled great. I took it into the shallows and worked on stability. With packs laying in the canoe it takes alot to push it all the way over.

I converted my solo trips from a canoe to a kayak. The difference is staggering. I mounted a couple of rod holders, because we all know no trip to the BWCA is complete without a few snakes and smallies on the end of your line! I've made two trips in a 16 foot touring/sea kayak. It's a bit smaller than most sea kayaks, but was much cheaper too (off hsolist). You can pack tons of gear, of course not in your typical Duluth Pack, but still enough for a 2 week trip if it's required. Ease of paddling is without comparison, kayaks GLIDE across the water with very little effort. Portaging was more simple as well, as I could store things in the kayak's compartments while trekking through the woods.

Highly recommended