• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which one to get?

Kyle

I am pondering between the 2010 polaris sportsman 550xp or the yamaha grizzly 550. Both have EFI, independent rear susp., and seem to be similar overall. I dont know much about atv's but I like them both. I have heard some negatives about polaris quality control, and yamaha's not so smooth ride. On the flip side, I heard polaris is smoother, and yamaha is better built/more durable. I do not plan to beat the quad up, I simply hunt and fish, and will rarely go over 50mph. I also dont go mudding, and pretty much stick to the trails when able. Which one do you think I should get? I have ridden both and really cant tell much difference, but then again I havent ridden much so my experience level is low. I need an honest opinion.

Believe it or not, Mr Anti-polaris(me), i would recommend the popo for the one and only reason of you only going to trail ride and not ride it hard! Polaris has one of the best riding machines on the market! Plus they are generally cheaper than most brands! I would suggest expanding your brand choices though.....;)

I know arcticat makes a good bike, but for some reason I am partial to yamaha and polaris... Never ridden a kawasaki but checked one out the other day, didnt really leave with an opinion one way or the other. Is there any actual or significant differences in the machines these days? They all seem to be competing pretty closely, and not knowing much about mechanics I would initially believe they would be very similar...Maybe not? can you shed any light on this?

Lots of differences in power between all brands!! The V-Twin motors in the Kawasaki and Can-am are hands down the most powerful and best running! But all machines have their issues at one time or another, just depends on how much abuse they get! I Have 1,100 tough miles on my kawasaki so far and haven't broke anything.....yet....knock on wood! I would be a yamaha owner if they came out with a twin motor! The Grizz is one mean looking machine especially with a good set of wheels and tires put on!

Just my $.02

I have ridden both atv's in my opinion just get what ever wheeler you can find cheaper. Both bikes are very good machines and are very comparable. The one thing I would recommend when getting a new bike is get the longest warranty you can get. Not only will it increase the retail value if you sell it with in the next couple years, but it covers anything from chipped paint on the racks to a blown motor. Once you have a warranty you will never regret it.

Ride both, find out where the power is on the 850 compared to the 550, if the only difference is high end speed you probably dont NEED the 850, but if it is not too much more to get the 850 get it because it will have a lot better resale value.

Lots of differences in power between all brands!! The V-Twin motors in the Kawasaki and Can-am are hands down the most powerful and best running! But all machines have their issues at one time or another, just depends on how much abuse they get! I Have 1,100 tough miles on my kawasaki so far and haven't broke anything.....yet....knock on wood! I would be a yamaha owner if they came out with a twin motor! The Grizz is one mean looking machine especially with a good set of wheels and tires put on!

Just my $.02

WOW Dude. This is one of the most unbiased posts I've seen by anyone in here in a long time. Thanks grin

I know it's not 100% the same, but here's my thoughts. I have both a Sportsman 500 and a Griz 660. I like the ride of my popo better than the Griz, but I've had the popo longer and have logged more hours on it. The griz seems squirrely at higher speeds. It feels lighter in the front end. The griz is quite a bit lighter and has more snort though.

I also had a buddy that worked at a dealer that sold Honda, Polaris & Yammie. He said they couldn't get a used griz in with a straight frame. but the popo's were solid. maybe that's the weight difference?

My vote...popo, but either way you should have a great machine. enjoy!

Enjoy whatever you buy, make sure you like the ride.

There is an article back a few pages I started about ATV downfalls, we all like our machines, but that article highlights some things we would change on our machines.

talked to a polaris dealer today. Said that there are still manufacturers in the US. They are simply moving this plan to mexico to accomodate different market needs so they dont have to ship everything they make such a long distance...He said polaris is and will continue to be USA made.

The 550 Grizz (and 700 Grizz) are completely different machines than the 660 Grizz (new frame, motor, everything). The Grizz is probably 200 pounds lighter than the Polaris. The Yamaha also has a front locker - a big plus when the going gets tough. If you are thinking about a bigger machine (motor wise) look at the Grizz 700. It will go 60+ mph and wheelie at will. Have never heard anyone say they wish they would have got a smaller motor in their ATV. I have both a Kodiak 450 and a Grizzly 700 and both have been trouble free.

Smaller Motor?? I will be the first to tell you that I wish we would have NEVER bought a 700. It sucks on the trails. WAY TO MUCH power/torque! When your trying to maneuver tight technical turns and hills, the EFI response with that motor is well annoying. Very hard to just "feather" it around rocks and corners. Sure if you want to go like a bat out of hell down the straight aways great. But I see No reason to ever need anything bigger than a 500. Power is only as good as your traction. I would much rather save a little and RIDE a lot more.

I am surprised to hear that you have problems working the throttle at low speeds - I have had no issue going from my 450 to my 700. Can go just as slow in the 700 and it is actually more maneuverable than my 450 thanks to the tighter turning radius and power steering.

That being said, if this is your first ATV or you have little experience with ATV's, smaller may be better. The big bores can be intimidating when you are starting out.