• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size kicker?

Joker

Would anyone care to comment on the size kicker they would put on a 1997 21' Lund Baron (that has a 150 Johnson 2-stroke outboard primary motor)? I am thinking about putting a 4-stroke kicker on it for backup, trolling, etc. I primarily fish lakes, but would like to start fishing the St Croix, if that influences the decision. I have been thinking about a 9.9, but am worried it will be too small for windy or high current areas.

Not really important, but something to think about, is that a 9.9 would work with my Argo (if I ever decided to play with it after the lake thaws). And, if I could ever get the wife to agree, I wouldn't mind a motor I could share with a small boat that is easier to manage when I am alone, and is more river friendly.

Thanks for anyone willing to take the time to give a rookie some suggestions.

I had a Lund Genmar 2150 I/O which is a slightly larger boat than yours, and I installed a 15hp as kicker. I trolled Lake Michigan even if adverse conditions and never had any problem.

I would think a 9.9 might be too little. Sometimes the difference between the 9.9hp and the 15hp is just carburetor jetting, consequently weight and size of motor is same.

I have a high thrust 8 hp honda on the back of my 22 foot sylvan offshore and it is great. Plenty of power and pushes the boat over 5 mph. If the waves areover 3 feet I use my big motor in low idle and control the speed with the 8hp. Plus it hardly uses any fuel.

3605484029_63142ab6cf.jpg

3606302872_341250414f.jpg

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I would be fine with the 9.9 for trolling and ok for backup. And the 15 or 20 would be good for trolling and better at backup.

I would like an Etec for a primary motor but want to use the main gas tank to supply the kicker. Since my main motor is oil injected, the main tank is not pre-mixed.

This is good as now I can just watch the classifieds for the right motor and price.

That makes sense Gregg. I am just trying to avoid carrying a seperate tank, oil or gas. I probably shouldn't care as there are places to hide another oil tank.

i guess you bump that etec down like 5 rpms at a time

to bout 5-600

i have a t-8 now and it ok but as soon as i have some cash flow i'll be lookin at that 15hp e-tec

to run the t-8 throttle from the wheel i need to buy some kind of control

for bout 300 bucks

think i'll just unload the t-8

(should be easy everybody likes those)

i'll get the e-tec to go with the 150 e-tec i have

If you guys would indulge me one more time.

I have been reading up on small four stroke motors and it seems that the different brands vary in noise production.

I am watching a couple mid-90's motors, a Yamaha and a Johnson. Both are 9.9hp and I was wondering if anyone can comment on if either is known to be a "loud" motor.

Thanks again for your comments.