• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

licking issue with lab

leechlake

my four year old lab has always been a licker, I've tried all sorts of remedies with no success, she likes tabasco, lemon, I've pinched her tongue, I've tried many things. She is well trained in pretty much all aspects but she will not sit down next to me and let me pet her without licking my hand constantly. We have two other dogs that don't lick at all.

The other night I noticed my nine year old daughter go up to the dog and pet her and the dog didn't lick. I then walked up and pet the dog and out came the tongue and the constant licking. I then had my daughter pet the dog and no licking???

I've always thought this was a complex of some sort for the dog, but after the thing last night I'm really curious to what's going on. The dog basically licks everyone from family to house guests except for my daughter. Any explanations or new ideas for non licking?

My grandparents had a old lab that did the same thing, I just ended up not petting her as much, although she wouldn't lick my grandparents, therefore she got a petting from them.

We got a pupp about a year ago now, and she did the same thing until she realized that she would get petted more if she didn't lick as much. She's fine now.

I think it depends on the dog's personality. If they are a little on the affectionate side, they might respond quicker if you stop petting her as much. Just my 2 cents.

my male lab when I got him at 8mo he was a licker and after two hands holding his tongue until he couldn't stand it anymore he quit doing it. Now 12 years later if even mention tongue he curls his lip and turns his head. That was my last resort because I did everything you did, hot sauce the whole works and had to break the habit the hard way.

Maybe a little "tough love" is in order.

Good luck,

mr

my big lab 2 yrs old does not lick, however the little guy, nearly 1 yr is a licker. that darn tongue is out at a moments notice. if we are driving, he is on the center console and when least expecting it, you can count on a lick in the ear or on the neck. not sure that much can be done, other than not getting in their face. my oldest lab had a thing when he was about 6-7 months old. If i had shorts on he would just walk on by but if i put on wranglers, he would be on me like white on rice. he would start to wrap my leg up and then hump, guess it was good he did not do it with shorts on. good luck, we figure are labs are 80% lab and 20% just dumb sometimes.

My lab licks everything constantly, the carpet, her front legs, it's like she has a complex.

She also does the same licking thing other's and the original poster have said, licking your hands arms, legs, whatever she can get to when she first walks up to you. But I have only noticed it with adults. I am not sure how old your daughter is, but mine is 6 and my dog does not lick her, unless she has some icecream on her hands or face.

That brings me to this theory. I have always been told that a dog does not view a child as a "person" until they are about 14 years old. Up till then they are "on equal ground" or level as the dog as far as dominace goes. Licking is a submisive behavior, thus the dog is much more likely to lick an adult and "tollerate" a kid.

Just a theory.... Still does not explain the licking the carpet.....

Leechlake, We have two Bassetts and the younger female is always licking my hand, but not too many other people's hands. I think it might be part of the pack thing. You are the pack leader and she's showing submissiveness. The dog might think she and your daughter are equals and she doesn't have to show that. Either that, or you taste really good.

My wife gets licked a bit too. The best is when I let the dog out in the morning and when she comes in, she has to let the wife know, so she climbs on the bed and licks her face. My bride doesn't see the humor in it.

I've seen wolf videos where a pack is re-united and they lick each others faces as a greeting. Lots of theories here.