• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Changing the NCAA tourament.

cbrooks

College Hockey News is reporting that there was a dicussion at the annual college hockey coach conference on changing the NCAA tourament format in the first round to a three game series on the campus with the higher seed from the one and out. Is this a good idea? You won't have as many underdogs in the frozen four but on the other hand there's more playoff hockey.

I don't know that it's a good idea. More money I suppose and a playoff season. I kinda like the fact that 3 #1 seeds lost out in 2009 to #4 seeds. Makes it more interesting.

My opinion is that the NCAA's are exciting if your team is playing. If not, it's just not very entertaining. I think the Final 5 tourney is 10 times better, although winning the NCAA's obviously has more meaning than winning the F5.

I don't mind the higher seed getting a game at home but I don't care for the best of 3 format. It just sounds to much like the NCAA is chasing the $$$. If you are going best of 3 why just the first round, why not the whole tournament, then all the "better" teams have a chance to win, if that is what they are worried about. One and done makes things more exciting and does give the little guys a chance to pull off an upset.

How about the part having it at the higher seed home ice. Some of the regional games I watch there wasn't alot of fans there. I did like that idea.

That I like too. But they wouldn't do a single game at an arena and then move for the next round. Too much travel money to only complete one of the 4 rounds. So I guess it would only work that way if you had a best of 3 first round.

I say just leave it alone. Maybe a home game for the top seeds to improve attendance, if anything. Just leave it though. If your a top seed and you get upset, thats your own problem. Play good and win.

I agree the F5 is 10 times more fun to watch, I thought the intensity was way higher too. Kind of crazy how the talent looked so good in the F5 and then they were all flat to teams, that didnt look very good in the NCAA.

I guess one good thing would be that the number 1 seeds from the WCHA wouldnt always have to travel out east and play, their first game at least.

I guess I would have left it how it was if it were up to me.

But I'm not the one "NCAA" losing money with poorly attended regional's and FF's with non attendance drawing Cinderella teams.

I like the recent parity that has taken over the nations Hockey programs but let's face it the Minnesota's, North Dakota's, Michigan's and the Boston teams are the draw and money makers... so it makes sense to give the so called perennial powers or better teams in the tougher conferences a slight advantage.

Go Gophs! grin