• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on Bearing Buddies...

CRFan1

Ok, so I am going to put some bearing buddies on my trailer and I figured I would do it now while it's new and I didn't have to worry about taking the whole thing apart. I did take my dust caps off the trailer and measured them (to confirm they are 1.980" and they are. My question is, di I need to remove the existing Zirc fitting before installing the BB's? I think the bearing buddies have a Zirc fitting in them correct? The instructions I have seen don't mention anything regarding this....

Where are the existing zerks? I can't imagine that you'd need to remove them as the BB just fits in place of the dust caps. Just leave them in place and don't use them. The BBs have zerks in them.

Well, the zircs are on the ends of the spindles and I was not sure if they would interfere with the pistons on the BB's....I guess I'll find out when I install them, lol grin

Ok well I actually called my marine dealer and the mechanic was actually in the middle of putting a set on, lol. He did indeed confirm there was no need to remove the existing zirc fitting smile

If you remove the grease zirk you would be removing the functionality of the sure lube system, not sure why you would want to do that?

Why are you installing bearing buddies when you have the sure lube system?

The sure lube system forces grease into the inside bearing and then fills outward through the outside bearing, makes it easy to change out the grease without pulling the hub.

BTW, I have read that you should not install BB over the sure lube system (the zirk that is already installed).

If you remove the grease zirk you would be removing the functionality of the sure lube system, not sure why you would want to do that?

The sure lube system forces grease into the inside bearing and then fills outward through the outside bearing, makes it easy to change out the grease without pulling the hub.

BTW, I have read that you should not install BB over the sure lube system (the zirk that is already installed).

Reallly...hmmmmmm ok now I am offically confused!

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi

Reallly...hmmmmmm ok now I am offically confused!

The last part about not installing BB's over the zirk was read on other forums....so I guess take it with a grain if salt.

I was going to do the same thing you are talking about, but after looking into how the systems work (which I was not really aware of before) and talking with a marine shop they convinced me to just stay with the system I have.

I am sure there are arguments for both.....but don't think I would remove the zirk that's on there.

I do have a brand new trailer...it's a Trailmaster Vanguard series trailer and it does have a Safe-T-Lube system so now I am not so sure Bearing Buddies are even a good idea?

I do have a brand new trailer...it's a Trailmaster Vanguard series trailer and it does have a Safe-T-Lube system so now I am not so sure Bearing Buddies are even a good idea?

They're not going to harm anything, but I probably wouldn't bother if I was you.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a 99 caravan trailer with the safety lube system. The zerks are exposed and it has flung grease all over the wheels. I have pulled the hubs and the bearings look fine. Is there a certain grease I should be using? Can someone also tell me how to get to the thread on how to repack bearings?

Jaspernuts: You did hijack the thread, which is rude.

CRFan1: I wouldn't add Bearing Buddies to the Safe-T-Lube unless you are having problems. It should work just fine.

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured. just gonna do a yearly re-pack in the winter cause I will be bored anyway, lol smile

The zerks are exposed and it has flung grease all over the wheels. I have pulled the hubs and the bearings look fine.

If the zirks are on the end of the axle then you should have a metal dust cap with a rubber insert covering them, they should not be exposed. You can get the manual off the Karavan site that explains the system and how to use it.

Marine bearing grease, Lubamatic is what a lot of place carry.

You should not need BB's if you already have a greasing system on your trailer! Save the money! wink