• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hauling 2 canoes

I'm considering getting a couple of canoes for the family. I have a 8 year old and a 5 year old so I figure with the 4 of us it would be better with 2. How do I haul 2 canoes with my minivan? Is there a double rack to put them on top or do I need to use a trailer?

Thanks in advance!

I've held 2 on my old Saturn SL2 using a Yakima rack. The only issue is what your roof is rated to hold. There are weight limits to those rack systems.

Another option is a bit more spendy but your van should be able to do it. Buy a trailer for 4-6 boats. I prefer trailering, its much easier and less problematic. Also because I had a canoe launch off the roof of my car once.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at Scheels today and they showed me a Yakima rack system for around $275. I also was thinking of creating some type of rack system for my small utility trailer. Maybe something I could use to put one on top of the other, each on separate racks. Any ideas for that? The reason I was liking the rack for the van is for if I want to put in on a river and have a vehicle to pick up when we hit our destination. We would need two vehicles capable of holding them. Any ideas for that? smile

Meyer, if you haven't bought the canoes yet, have you looked at some of the larger capacity types? Wenonah makes a four person canoe that might suit your young family better than two canoes. For the age of kids you have, and yes, I know they don't stay small forever, a three person canoe might fit the bill well, also. Might be tough to justify spending that type of money on a new canoe but some of the outfitters sell used ones.

Yeah, I looked at the Wenonah but at over $2000 it's too steep. I also don't want to have to buy different canoes in a couple years. I have thought about it though. It would be a good alternative.

Thanks

I use a Thule rack on the roof of my Ranger and a T-bar rack on the hitch. I can't remember the exact weight rating for the Thule rack but it was definitely strong enough to support three canoes (2 aluminum and 1 roylex).

Any rack will work great for your purpose, can be installed and removed with ease, and doesn't require the space of a canoe trailer.

Depending how far I'm going, I'll stack my canoes. Tie the botton one nice and tight top down and then tie the other on top bottom down. This really works well if you are careful with your knots.

Thanks for the suggestions! I went and bought a Yakima rack with 78" bars. I also bought 2 Old Town Guide 147 canoes to go on it. smile I'll post pics next time I have them on the van.

Thanks again!