• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sea Foam Forbidden!!

Ufatz

Like his competition can't figure out what is in Amsoil products? Do you really think that Exxon can't do chemical analysis?

And how many people go 100k miles on a car without problems? The EPA requires 50k miles with no problems as the Emissions warranty.

I know outboards are different, but are they that different? cars run a lot under low load or idle. Less at high load/RPM.

I always get the feeling the additive folks are trying to blow smoke up my orfice. Nothing personal.

BobT - Yes, I meant that the formulations are primarily hidden from the competition. Analysis will reveal some of what is in it, but nearly impossible to get it all. I don't have the foggiest idea what is in it. I am not AMSOIL Inc, but am an independent dealer.

i have a 80 hp yamaha 4 stroke which always used to have sea foam run thru it ,not anymore ,oilman is right on about ethanol it attracts water, gas is 10 percent ethanol now with new requirements gov. imposed of a mixture of 15 percent in the future,after we figure ou this problem there gonna create a new one!Yes sea foam clogged jets in my carb 275.00 fix it now i do what my mechanic recommended drain it dry leave it sit a couple days start it again and let it run out ,not a problem since! when new season comes put new gas in it and away you go!

Originally Posted By: trolloni
... gas is 10 percent ethanol now with new requirements gov. imposed of a mixture of 15 percent in the future, ...

Running premium eliminates that problem.

Running premium does not eliminate that problem. Running non-oxygenated fuel would, and only certain stations carry it. There is a list of providers on the MSRA site.

Originally Posted By: trolloni
Yes sea foam clogged jets in my carb

Clogged carb jets from seafoam? How did you substantiate that....you have the substance tested?

I still don't see how seafoam itself could cause something to clog, unless it was in the process of cleaning out an already compromised or dirty/un-maintained system. I would say there is a much better chance at the fuel gumming up and clogging your jets.

+1

I emailed Seafoam directly, and I received a response from a Technical Service Manager:

Sea Foam can be used in all internal combustion engines including 2 cycle, 4 cycle, diesel and rotary. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is one of the best and safest products on the market. I would be more suspicious of the ethanol blended fuel causing your problem and remember Sea Foam also stabilizes fuel and works by not letting the fuel separate into gum and varnish unlike some other stabilizers that only treat the fuel for evaporation and can cause things to plug up. Sea Foam will not plug anything up because it re liquefies any gum and varnish in the fuel system keeping carbs and injectors clean. I would not blame Sea Foam for plugging an injector. The mechanic doesn’t understand how Sea Foam works because he is used to using another product and has never bothered to find our what Sea Foam is and how it works.

I posted the original thread about SeaFoam. I did it because I did not believe the mechanic who told me it plugged injectors was correct. I am now sure he was wrong.

While I am very skeptical about most fuel and lubrication "additives" I think SeaFoam is probably alright, BUT it is highly likely it is NOT necessary. Keep fuel fresh. Do a good job of filtration.

I have run boat,airplane,truck and auto engines for five decades and have very rarely used an additive of ANY kind. I've never had an engine quit. I've had some dirty plugs in my time. I only began with the SeaForm because of the apparent unstable make up of today's gasoline.

I probably will not use it in future because I suspect it, like all the other "stuff" is mainly hype and marketing. But HEY.....that's what keeps the world of commerce and big business going, right!!??