• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pear trees

Dotch

Have been looking at pear varieties. So far have Patten, Parker and Summercrisp to choose from locally. Any thoughts or experiences? I'm in the southern part of Zone 4. I'll hang up and listen.

Dotch, not sure how much help I can be. My wife bought a pear tree around 20 years ago. At that time I didn't pay attention to which variety it was as I never thought it would make it in (3a)Northern MN. Maybe this season I'll figure that out. I can tell you it needs a pollinator. Twice I've planted a mate and both trees died because of where I planted them. Just don't have the room in close enough proximity to the Pear tree so they were off in the shade. That was a gamble anyway because not knowing the variety, its mate needs to blossom at the same time. So in all those years we've had one pear.

That was till last year when I bought pollen but it arrived late. Still I was able to pollinate a couple dozen blossoms. Success!

This time around I'm ready to go as I have the pollen here and will be on top the pollination.

Getting reliable info on Pears is tough. I know you will need a compatible pollinator as a mate for sure so consider that in site location. Even the self pollinators will produce more fruit with a mate.

Thanks Frank. The info I've gleaned from references and sources (reliable and otherwise) parallels exactly what you've said. My Mom has the pear tree Dad planted when we were kids. Not sure what variety but suspect it was sold as one of those that is supposed to be a self pollintor. Tough to say if it is or not. As far as I know there is no other polinator on the farm. She gets pears about once a decade so maybe someone who has one that's being pollinated by the same bees occasionally. I haven't bought any pear trees yet and after I brought the last apple tree home I got the hairy eyeball from the wife. Guess I will have to be stealthy and use the old tried and true "Oh didn't I tell you?" line. grin I like pears, I'm not getting any younger and the only way to get them is to plant them.

Your tree and mine should get together. smile

Wouldn't it be neat to get that tree your Dad planted to fruit every year. Buying a tree is cheaper then buying pollen. Shipping it overnight from Washington state(needs to stay frozen) cost me $25 plus the price of the pollen. The nearest pear tree up here could be a hundred mils away.

Since I don't have the room close by my tree for another I'm wondering if grafting a pollinator will work for me. I'll check into that.

I planted two pear trees about 6 yrs ago. Had one die so had to plant another. The next year planted another, and it died the following year so I planted two more. The pear trees all did well for a few years until last spring when they all started to put leaves on and died. I am officially out of the pear buisiness. Never again. Good luck.

Too bad I am so far away from you folks. I have 18 McDermand (aka Harbin, aka Ussurian) pear 2-3' bare root trees in the garage looking for new homes at the moment. I believe they could be used as the roots for grafted trees, or will produce a pear suitable for wildlife on their own.