• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

close call today, got REALLY lucky

Ryan_V

I'm home for lunch this afternoon before an appointment. I have a friend stopping out to borrow my thatcher and bagger to do his yard. I let my shorthair pup out to run when I'm home for lunch (8 months old). My buddy pulls in with his Ford Edge, doesn't see her in front of the car, and she gets knocked down, and the front tire runs over her completely. It went over her chest area from bottom to top. I scooped her up and threw her in the truck and flew to the vet. Long story short.....xrays show no broken ribs, no punctured lungs. She was lame on one leg at first, but that quickly went away. My last shorthair was lost to a car almost 2 years ago. I'm extremely thankful that my new one seems to be o.k.!!! My buddy was besides himself, but I tried to tell him it's not his fault, she ran in front of him and should have known better. Someone was watching out for Lacie today, and I'm thankful for that, she's looking to be the best dog I've ever had and if the worse would have happened, I don't know that i'd ever get another dog again. I still can't believe I pulled the trigger on this one!! Needless to say, it took a long time, and a couple glasses of scotch to calm my nerves!!

i don't understand how that pup could get completely ran over and not suffer catastrophic injury. wow. lucky.

i know the feeling as i hit my dog with my own car a number of years ago. pretty sure i killed him when i looked back in the rearview and saw a motionless pile of dog in the road. i ran to him and he was alive, but obviously in shock. a 90 mph trip to the vet and a cortisone shot fixed him up, but that shoulder was stiff on him in the mornings after that.

not gonna lie, i bawled like a baby on the way to vet, thinking that dog was gonna die in my arms. i get choked up even thinking about it.

oh yeah, I was a mess on the way to the vet, then in the vets office. by the time I got her out of the truck at the vet, she seemed fine, except for the one leg, but like I said, that got better right away!! Gonna go check on her now out in her kennel and see how she feels, need to get her her pill too, that might proove to be interesting!

Ryan-

Luck was on your, or your pup's side. You should go out and buy her a lottery ticket!

March of 2009 while I was up at LOW chasing eyes, I drove into Baudette for something and my cell phone starting receiving text after text once I got back into range. Reading the texts was like a soap opera drama as I learned that my wife had backed over the family cat while he was sunning himself in the driveway behind the minivan...full over like you described. My wife said she felt the minivan heave like going over a speed bump. Now, I'm not a cat fan, but I put up with this guy as long as he's doing his job with the mice in the shed. She saw was the cat slowly limp away and hide beneath the shed. Thinking the worst, she went to scoop him up and off to the vet.

$700 worth of xrays and a few pain pills later and the cat was fine!?!? I returned home to continue suffering from my cat dander allergies and the cat is still with us today. That was the most expensive LOW trip so far.

I guess there really are 9 lives for those things.

brings up a good point about how do you teach your dog to stay away from cars? I used to have a old junkyard dog that would chase cars from the front (like at the front wheel) never could break him of the habit.

brings up a good point about how do you teach your dog to stay away from cars? I used to have a old junkyard dog that would chase cars from the front (like at the front wheel) never could break him of the habit.

other than running them over, I don't know. Maybe a shock collar?? mine is still pretty timid after the incident, so I don't think she'll go in front of any more tires!!!

Ryan-

Luck was on your, or your pup's side. You should go out and buy her a lottery ticket!

March of 2009 while I was up at LOW chasing eyes, I drove into Baudette for something and my cell phone starting receiving text after text once I got back into range. Reading the texts was like a soap opera drama as I learned that my wife had backed over the family cat while he was sunning himself in the driveway behind the minivan...full over like you described. My wife said she felt the minivan heave like going over a speed bump. Now, I'm not a cat fan, but I put up with this guy as long as he's doing his job with the mice in the shed. She saw was the cat slowly limp away and hide beneath the shed. Thinking the worst, she went to scoop him up and off to the vet.

$700 worth of xrays and a few pain pills later and the cat was fine!?!? I returned home to continue suffering from my cat dander allergies and the cat is still with us today. That was the most expensive LOW trip so far.

I guess there really are 9 lives for those things.

$700???? this only cost me $150!! I agree with you on cats!! I go through alot of them at my farm!!

Those puppy rib bones are spec'd out to withstand anything up to a light bodied pickup truck!

I thank the big guy for that every day!!! I've spent hundreds on dogs with XXX blodlines and a great pedigree, with master hunters in the family, etc, etc....... this little lady I have now is a $25 line-bred whoops, as she's the best dog I've ever had!! She shows so much promise for this fall I can't wait!! She's smart, and picks up on anything I throw at her and her nose and hunting instinct is incredible. My last one got lost to the road, so I have this one already trained pretty well as to her boundries, so imagine my dismay when I see her get rolled over in my driveway!!! My buddy was besides himself, I tried to reassure him its not his fault though!!

best part about this is that it is good to hear that your not blaming your buddy. I know lots of poor pet owners that would not feel the same way. its good to hear a place where guys understand this type of thing. god i can only imagine if I were to accidentally run over some of my friends dogs it would prob be the end of that relationship.

Acemac...I hear you!! I told him and his wife (whom I work with) that it wasn't his fault. Just like when my last dog got hit on the road, I blame myself. Sure I would have liked to have the person stop, but they didn't. It's not their fault, It was completely my fault that my dog was in the road! He was pretty upset when it happened!!