• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Longnose Suckers

DTro

So I spent a couple hours at the Freshwater Aquarium (in Duluth) yesterday, and noticed quite a few Longnose Suckers there. Are they pretty rare? I've never seen any pictures here that I can remember, yet they portrayed them as being fairly common.

I couldn't really tell, but it looked they they didn't have any scales.

What's the story on the Longnose?

In MN, I think you will only find them on the North Shore. I believe they live in the depths of Superior and run up the tributaries for a short period in the spring. And I believe they do have scales.

They are cool looking fish. I know they are caught by steelheaders in the spring and some hardcore roughfishers.

Longnose spawn on the northshore in the tributaries to superior, they often times are caught when targeting trout and steelhead, very commom near Goosebury falls, They are the only sucker found outside North America, they can also be found in Siberia, like stated above they are also in the rainey, State record is 3 lbs 10.6 oz from the Brule in 05' and world record is 6 lbs 9oz set in michigan in 89'. BLAKE