• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Asparagus ??

zzammon

A couple Asparagus questions. I planted a batch 2 years ago and plan to harvest this year. I assume I should cut the old growth before new shoots appear, correct? Second, I hate weeding. I usually bag grass clippings and thickly spread it over any open areas in my garden. Can I put a layer of grass clippings over my asparagus? I would think the asparagus would have no trouble pushing through it. Thanks.

You can cut the old growth stems or burn them off. I lightly till to losen the soil and get rid of any weeds. I don't think it will hurt to put the grass clippings on to try and keep the weeds down. Before I planted a patch of asparagus we would drive back roads and pick it out of the ditch. It doesn't get any special treatment growing in ditches. You could also check the University of Mn Ag web sight or search the google.

Z

I was thinking of planting some for my wife. Should I start them from seeds now or wait and plant them outside later? I realize that it takes a few years to establish so I better start this year. Should they be in full sun or partly shady ares? How many plants is a good starter batch? Any other tips? Thanks.

Rip,

When we started our patch we bought the root plants. Dig a trench 18 inches deep. Place the plants in the trench horizontaly and then just cover with one or two inches of soil. When the roots start to grow and push up start filling in the trench to support the new stems that are growing. As they continue to grow over the summer you will finaly have the trench filled in.

The spears will be very thin and you won't be able to harvest any the first year. Just let them grow and leave them until the next spring. Then cut or burn off the old stem growth, lightly till the top soil and then the second year only harvest the spears that are the diamater of a pencil or larger. And again, leave the small stems until the following spring and repeat the clearing and tilling.

We will fertilize with miracle grow or any garden fertilizer you use for the rest of your garden. We have our patch planted in full sun and it does well. The second year we were able to pick plenty to eat and then after we were able to share with friends.

Z

just call a larger garden center, most will have a bareroot shipment in already or coming soon. depending if the plants are completely dorment or not would dictate more on when to plant. if they dont have any green on them you could put them in now, if they have started to push up you might want to wait till april, and cover if temps get below 26 degrees or so.

I purchased a home 2 years ago and there was aspargus in the garden. Nice. How do i get more of it? I let some go to seed but dont think it took. My garden is small 12'x 20' i would like to have it all be aspargus. My parents have a huge garden where we plant everything else. Is there any i can make this happen without buying more aspargus. The neibhor said it was the best he has ever seen it. I took the moto mentioned earlier that mother nature is'nt nice in the ditches and it keeps coming back.