• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which deep cycle battery?

slammer

I put a pair of Interstates in my boat last year after hearing lots of good reports on them. I wanted to go with group 31s but had to go with group 27s due to space. I've only had them for a year but they were rock star performers in year 1.

I think that most any brand you get will be pretty good. If I'm not mistaken it was pointed out on this site before that there are really only a couple manufacturers anyway. The most important thing you can do to get the most out of your battery is to keep them fully charged as much as possible and watch the fluid level.

I've used everything and in my experience they all last about the same amount of time with proper maintenance. Save your money and get the Fleet Farm brand. The two I have right now on my trolling motor have just as much power as my last set of Interstates and these are on 4 years and looking good for atleast 1 more year. Never ran out of power with them either.

Really, the only way you can go with a better battery these days is to go with a brand that offers pure lead. Everybody else just uses a lead alloy and they all have about the same performance. But of course with the pure lead you will be paying big $$$.

Best I have ever used was the Delco voyager. 8-9 years almost every one. Hard to find now. K mart used to carry them. Trojans suck. I went to them after the Delcos became hard to find. 4-5 years tops and they used water so hard to maintain in tight places. The Cabela's AGM is the batt for me now. Totally sealed. Not bad if you can buy them on sale. They have so much power. The AGM will run all day and still show power to spare. I don't have enough experience with them to give you a life span. Check back in about 5 years and I'll let you know.

I had the opposite experience with Trojans. My last Trojan battery lasted 7 years. Used it in the summer in the boat and it powered the 12 volt fish house lights in the winter. I was a Sears Diehard guy before that and usually got 3 years out of those.