• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

They be a running!

The carp are starting to run up some of the creeks in the area. Not a full blown run yet, but they are stacking up. What does everyone like to use to catch these fish? Night Crawlers? Might be going out tommorrow if it warms up if not, I will go monday.

I agree on the corn, best bait for Carp I have found. For hooks I use a #2 Carlisle because of the long shank and thicker wire. They hold more corn and they don't bend out on big fish. Have fun out there!

Yes if their running they will school up beneath dams, spots like this are some of the best places to fish. When you approach the dam make sure you apprach it cautiously because if it's a smaller area they will more than likely spook downstream.

I catch carp on crawlers on #1 baitholder hooks or circle hooks, or on #6-#10 J-hooks with a few pieces of corn from your average can of whole kernel sweet corn.

actually... during this time of year... corn is very hard for carp to digest. and they know that. the corn bite doesnt really start going until post spawn.

go with waxworms, and eurolarvea you have left over from ice fishing. or some other natural bait, like crawlers, helgrammites, scuds, etc. so much easier for the carp to digest.

I went out and fished below a dam this AM from 9-9:30 on a scouting trip. In that time I hook two Carp!

I was throwing a 1/4oz jig. I needed all that weight to get the jig down in the current. I would throw the jig up stream let it hit bottom and slowly reel in as the jig banged along the rock of the main channel. When I would swim the jig back I didn't catch a thing but if I just reeled in fast enough to feel the jig moving along and to keep it moving when it stoped, that is when they would hit, as soon as it would move again.

Find rock bottom and a current seam near a dam and there should be Carp nearby. Remember, the fish are shallow and the water is somewhat clear. So go in low light times of day and wear something that blends in with your surroundings.

Well I went out last saturday. I had 3 on but landed zero! So no pics from Saturday. To try to redeem myself I went out today. I worked my way up stream until I reached the dam without a hit. Then when I started throwing my bait ( a brite orange 1/4oz jig with a plastic tail) up into the white water under the dam I had 5 hit in a row at one point without landing one of them. Everytime I would move to the waters edge where I could land the fish, out would come the hook. Finally I landed one and found that the hook was in the fish about 1" back from the mouth. So I think the Carp were keying in on the orange jig head not the plastic tail. Off the the bait shop I will go.

Carp2001.jpg

Here is the way the water looked where the fish came from (the white water)

water2001.jpg

why would i wake up in the morning as a fish and think "hmm today I am going to eat some corn" think like a fish its the scent that sweet corn leaves in the water not the actual corn itself that they like. put some bait in the water that stinks and you will have the same results.

pretty sure corn is even hard for humans to digest......

its all about matabolism...temp is down matabolism is down, and the fact that corns outer shell is hard to digest...as we all have seen the next morning after a bbq and some beers...early season for carp take your left over waxies from ice fishing and use those they work great. about a week ago i caught a 20+ pounder on just that and a 1/16 oz jig

Went again this morning and still nothing out there. Went and hit three different spots. The river was super low. It must have dropped at least a foot the past week. One spot I could watch the bottom the entire time and didn't even see one pass. That is not the case when they are running, it must still be too early up here.

Typically, I am out on various branches the Zumbro river (southeastern, MN)about the first week of May, but with the interesting and warmer spring has anybody had success in the upper parts of rivers yet? Because of work, I know that I will not get out for another week, but am curious just the same.