• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum boats - tiller models

openorice

I'm looking for some feedback from people on the differences between the following makers of aluminum boats; Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner. I'm looking for a 16 - 18 foot tiller model for Minnesota fishing and I would like to hear from people who have fished out each.

I had an Alumacraft 18 Compeditor with a 75 tiller for 13 years ,and loved it. I fish mainly big water, Mille Lacs & Gull.

I sold it two years ago and baught from a guy at Mille Lacs an 2003 YarCraft 1895 Storm with 135 Merc Saltwwater tiller. What a difference

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject. A lot of opinons of each of these boats.

Lund and Alumacraft are riveted boats.

Crestliners are welded.

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 175 with a Yamaha 75 hp tiller and I love it. If you look at the thread about Alumacraft boats you can see some of why I am such a big fan of the boat. I have fished out of Lunds a lot (my dad and my brother both have Lunds). They are great boats too.

I don't have any experience with Crestliners.

I will make an educated guess here that if you went with any of the three you would be getting a good boat. I personally would only buy a riveted boat when buying aluminum. If there were a better fastening method it would be used in airplanes and skyscrapers.

When I bought my Alumacraft Navigator a comparable Lund, Explorer, was more expensive and had less. My Navigator had a larger gas tank than the Explorer. The Explorer didn't have a guage cluster with a Spedo and Tach, the Navigator does. The Navigator was a little wider. The Navigator has a double plated hull.

You'll have to take the info/opinions you get here and then go check them out and make a decision from there. Going and checking them out is part of the fun.

Caseymcq my reply to the construction on the airplanes and skyscrapers was always and airplane or building in the water was in trouble? Must be some reason they weld submarines? ( I used to work for HSO-Classifieds)

That being said all are solid boats! You really cant go wrong on any of them. Figure out your budget and shop around, lots of great older boats as well as new in the tiller models.

Make sure the boat has the features that YOU want!

I've owned a couple of Alumacrafts, and have spent a lot of time in Lunds and Crestliners. All 3 are good boats. If those are the 3 brands you're looking for, I would get in the boats and decide which one has the look, feel, features, layout, motor, etc that you want. As far as the boats themselves, you won't go wrong with any of them.

The IPS hull on a Lund will track well. I agree that those 3 mentioned are all very nice boats and agree that you should get in each one and pay close attention to layout, detail, comfort and see which one suits your needs.

I have a 1996 lund 20ft tiller alaskan. very tough boat not a leak and it is 14 years old. I have a 75 honda tiller. Not the fastest boat out there a little over 30 mph. This boat has more fishing room than any boat i have been in