• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?Alumacraft Dominator SPORT 165 VS 175 & ETEC VS Yamaha?

TJB

Alumacraft Dominator 165 VS 175 & ETEC VS Yamaha

I am looking at the Dominator SPORT MUST be a 2009 or 2010 jump seats. I can't decide between the 165 or 175. I am also pondering the ETEC VS Yamaha. I wanted a tiller but the SPORT was the deal maker with the domestic CEO and board of directors. I want to do a lot of trolling on Pepin and other large bodies PENDING the gas prices. I have a 3/4 ton so pulling is not a problem. I also have an oversized garage so space is not an issue.

I do not do a lot of casting so the deck space does not seem to be an issue.

I do not like the looks of the rod box between the pass through windshield on the 165 however on the 175 it appears to not be flush with the front deck as well. Can anyone offer an opinion on this?

BOAT… I understand the ETEC has a promotion going get a 90HP for the price of a 75HP (165) or get a 130HP for the price of a 115HP (175) plus a 5 year warranty. This is a good option if you think ETEC is the way I should go. Keep in mind I will be doing more trolling than pulling the kids around the lake. (I THINK)

I understand that Yamaha has a promotion as well 6 year warranty.

MOTOR… As far as the ETEC VS Yamaha what are the maintenance costs? Oil for the ETEC VS service on the Yamaha. PLEASE understand I am NOT a mechanical person. I am a computer geek and mechanical traits are something that was not passed down. Winterization the ETEC seems pretty straight forward even I would be willing to give it a shot.

Price… If 90HP is the MAX 165 then the price is going to be lower. But… I like to think my now 5 and 8 yr old will like fishing as much as I do and want to keep going so as the grown I do not want to then have to move up to the 175.

Resale… I know I have even made the initial purchase and I am already looking ahead. Well I know me and at least I can admit it. Because the kids are young I do not know what kind of interests/sports they will participate in and I have looked at used boats and a lot of people claim not to have the time or they are simply downsizing to the tiller model which if you recall at the being I indicate was my first option.

Lastly WERE TO BUY… This is where you all come in to play. PRICE yes for sure. OPTIONS you bet also because I am not mechanical installation of options. I do not want some high school kid installing me stereo or wiring my trolling motor while learning on the job. SERVICE if need who is timely turnaround and does a quality job the first time.

Feel free to email me as well if you have any additional information that will help me make my decision.

tjbauer19 @ Hotmail .com

As far as oil and maintenance cost:

I have a Yamaha 4 stroke and my dad has an etec. He burns a lot of oil that cost about $45 per gallon (of course you could use cheaper stuff) where as I do 1 oil change in my garage for about $50. I really like my Yamaha for a lot of reason, if it's gas your worried about I doubt you'll find one that is better than the Yamaha FI 4 stroke.

As far as hull size:

I bought a 165 when I really wanted something bigger and regreted it, I ended up selling it and getting a 1750. Once you get a couple coolers and tackle boxes loaded up a couple guys and or kids and the floor space gets used up really quick.

Yammie 4S and Etec were my finalists as well a couple of years ago. I thought Etecs were a great engine as well, but in the end just felt more comfortable going with a Yamaha EFI 4 stroke. Coming from an old cold blooded, carbed 2 stroke, I was blown away at the ramp last spring when I went to start it for the first time. It fired within 1 second like I had just started it 10 minutes ago.

I've heard from many that Etecs also troll very well, but I think a 4 stroke is the way to go. It will troll all day long if you want it to. Just make sure you get a good break-in on a Yammie with some intermittent WOT in the first 10 hours per manual, and you should not have any issues with "making oil" while trolling.

That 6 year engine coverage is awesome on the Yammie as well. Also as to the winterization of a Yammie, if you've ever changed oil on a car, you can winterize it easily. It's just pulling the drain plug, catching the oil, and changing the filter. Fogging the motor is pretty easy, as is changing the lower unit lube. Whole thing will take you an hour and you will save $100 each year.

Picking up my Dominator 175 today at Cabelas. Last year I fished out of my buddies 165. It felt small. I would say the extra $ is worth it for the size. I put a Suzuki 140 on back but I think you can't go wrong with a Yami. Lacanes or Cabelas will have the best price and from what i hear its tough to beat Lacanes costumer service.

i have a 150 e tec its a very good motor

mine's on 2095 YAR CRAFT i can troll foward pulling cranks 2.5

backwards with not much a chop

nothing to maintence even a geek can do it cuz he probably will read the instructions lol

the oil is 39$ a gal but i dont believe i use a full 2 galls last summer and i was on the lake 2-3 days a week most of the summer and you hafta change it ever

e-tec on tin boat will launch you out of the water never lossing site of whats infront you (saftey)

and it purrssssssss

you wont be disappointted

Talk to the folks at Dan's Southside Marine. I am pretty sure I remember them being a site sponsor as well.

I have a couple of friends who swear by their service dept and Dan answered many questions from me the other day about all the questions you are asking now. His pricing is in line or better than the big c as well.