• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone hitting the mississippi for carp and rough fish already?

For now hit inlets where warmer water is entering the river, if fish can get out of the current a bit even better. I've seen a few and have caught a few scales in a spot I fish, but with the cold temps they are still real slow to bite. In a week or two when water temps get above 40 fish the same areas, you will catch them, on anything from live bait to small twister tails. Once the temps get above 60 they will move up real shallow in backwaters and flats, you should be able to sight fish them at this time and it becomes some of the most fun fishing of the year, especially on a fly rod. I've only been fishing the river for about 2 years now, so I'm no expert, but for someone restricted to the shore it offers a great challenge all summer when many other fish are moving deeper.

Would you think the water temps would reach forty by this weekend? I have been catching a few kitties out of a nearby lake but I wanted to hit the dams on the river for them but i diont know if it would be worth it this early?

It was fun last week.

Carp, sheephead, cats, crappies, also seeing some pre-season bonus walleyes and smallmouths. The cats are already hitting smash mouth with a lot of runs on the clickers and bait runner reels, which is early, but seem to be more interested in cut baits (especially shad or sucker). Our carp and sheephead have been coming on tiny crappie jigs tipped with plastic tubes. Insect hatches are already starting to come off, too.

No question "its goin' on" already.

half-dutch, have you been fishing the pool 2 stretch?I wanna get down there this week to try my hand at soaking some bait from shore since the Mn is far from fishable. Thanks for the reports! Let the open water season begin!