• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Logging the Refuge

fish

Not sure where to post this but...I have hunted two different sections of the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge for 25+ years. Some people, I'm sure wiser than me, made decision to log the area. The rationale I guess was to return it to an Oak Savannah. There already is a lot of Oak Savannah in the refuge. What they are doing is displacing a lot of wildlife that depend on the cover and food. The deer were all yarded up in there. Several large flocks of turkeys have used the area for cover. Small game and nongame all used the area. I really hope when people drive by they are proud of the work that has been done. I myself am sad.

Actually several areas. I know two forsure. South of the Ponderosa along county road 1 and 1/2 mile west of Little Elk Lake. They also have been logging the refuge on the refuge/st. forest road that is behind the Svea Hill Community church. Just bugs me. I would be willing to bet that they are logging all over. I just don't get over to the Big Lake/Becker portions.

You do realize that in almost every case where logging is done, the result is that the habitat is actually improved and the wildlife benefit? This is a result of the additional sunlight that is allowed to reach the forrest floor and in turn the new, lush growth that occurs creates improved habitat and food sources. You should probably be thankful for the logging efforts.

inthenorthwoods,

I agree with you. when done properly logging is actually beneficial. I had a friend that had 40 acres by nisswa to hunt that was owned by his former in laws and part of the deal was that every so many years a logging company would come at harvest so many trees. when they did this the last time it improved the forest floor and the visibility of the area. to bad the in law of his went and sold this property so now may friend can't hunt it anymore. I use to go up with him and it was always a fun time.

You do realize that in almost every case where logging is done, the result is that the habitat is actually improved and the wildlife benefit? This is a result of the additional sunlight that is allowed to reach the forrest floor and in turn the new, lush growth that occurs creates improved habitat and food sources. You should probably be thankful for the logging efforts.

InTheNorthWoods is dead on. This area just because a wonderful food source for all the nature in the area. Another 6-12 years this area will have nice thick cover and still produce a ton of food.

The long term benefits out weigh by far the short term loss. All that new growth will be more beneficial to wildlife than what was there. Just like burning off meadows. Sure they look bad, but in a few months there will be an abundance of fresh new growth and even an opportunity for native grasses to come back with less reed canary. Burning is best for killing of woody growth that in years will overtake meadows. Stuff like willow that spreads so fast

Believe me I understand that when there is logging there is benefit to the forest. I also hunt north of Grand Rapids. I look for areas that have been logged as they do become magnets. Those are in forests that are managed for logging. The areas that they are logging in the refuge are not being managed as forests. They are being returned to a Savannah. It is not a scenario where they are clear cutting a 40 out of a 1000 surrounding acres of forest. If you live in the area take a drive and see what you think about improved habitat.

I don't know a ton about all of the logging that is going on but I do know that there is no forest floor left in this area. You really have to know the area to comment on it. They are basically clear cutting it and leaving an oak tree here and there as Fish said. Very sad and disheartening to see. I can't believe the drastic change they are making and what a huge impact it will have on the wild life in the area.

I was shocked to see it as well when I drove by a few months ago. I haven't heard or read anything official but was told they were cutting out all the dead fall.

After looking at it I had to say there was no way there was that much dead fall in there.

I just had to think to myself "I'm sure they know what they're doing" and look away.

I do have to say this though, wildlife can survive, even thrive in a prarie environment. And for what it's worth, I have hunted a few of the areas before they were cut over and didn't bother returning for lack of sign. So I hope the "Improvements" actually are just that in the end.

So are they bulldozing and replanting grass or spraying the area to kill any trees that come up? If they leave things be it shouldn't be long before the tree regenerate but it would take some work to make some big sweeping changes I would think.

Quote:
Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge consists of 30,700 acres of Federal land dedicated to the conservation, management, and where appropriate, restoration of fish, wildlife, and plant resources and their habitats for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans.

Sherburne, one of ten National Wildlife Refuges in Minnesota, is located in the east central region of the state, approximately 50 miles northwest of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area and 30 miles southeast of St. Cloud.

The primary mission of the Refuge is to represent a diverse biological community characteristic of the transition zone between tallgrass prairie and forest. Established in 1965 to protect and restore the habitats associated with the St. Francis River Valley for migratory birds and other wildlife purposes, the focus of the Refuge today is on the restoration of oak savanna , wetland and big woods habitats.

Quote:

Historically, oak savanna was the predominant habitat on the upland areas now part of Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge. This plant community is characterized by scattered individuals and clumps of oaks growing with an understory dominated by tall grasses and colorful prairie flowers. Oak savanna was historically a very dynamic habitat, fluctuating into a more open or less open state depending on frequency of wildfires or drought. It was associated with the more open prairie areas and also more dense oak woodlands and brushlands. On the Refuge today, woodland areas and prairie openings are considered a part of the oak savanna.

The Refuge is reestablishing prairie grasses and wildflowers that once dominated the oak savanna through an active planting program. Seeds are purchased or harvested from local seed sources for this use. Big bluestem, little bluestem, Indian grass and switch grass, as well as a rich diversity of native prairie wildflowers (forbs) can now be found here. The sandy soils on the Refuge provide well-drained growing conditions for many plants more typically found in more arid regions of the west. Several species of wildflowers, such as lupine, hoary puccoon, and Indian paintbrush, are found in the Refuge at the limits of their range. Oak seedlings are being planted in some portions of the Refuge to restore the overstory of the oak savanna while in other areas oaks are naturally spreading into the grassland plantings.

Oak savanna is a fire dependent plant community. At Sherburne Refuge this plant community is restored and maintained by prescribed burning. Burning serves three primary functions. It encourages the growth of native wildflowers and warm season grasses, such as big and little bluestem, Indian grass and switch grass, which provide food and cover for nesting waterfowl and wildlife. It also reduces competition from exotic cool season grasses and encroaching trees and shrubs that are not fire tolerant. In addition, prescribed burning opens up the canopy in more heavily wooded areas, to re-create oak savanna.

Through prescribed burning, oak savanna is once more becoming the dominant habitat on upland areas of the Refuge. With the re-establishment of the vegetation which historically existed on the Refuge, the animals of the oak savanna are also returning.

I talked to one of the CO's from the refuge and he said they are cutting down live trees and brush with the exception of the oaks. He said the other trees were not native to the area, and this is how it will be returned to an oak savannah. They do lots of prescribed burning in there on an annual basis, and I'm sure that's how they intend to keep other trees down over time. They usually do the burns right through the woods and the oaks aren't adversely affected. It definitely changes the landscape in the areas of the clearing. I don't know if it will affect the deer numbers, but I'm sure it will affect how they are hunted. There won't be enough cover to hold them in the woods during daylight hours. We'll be driving lots of cattails. I can already taste the cattail fluff.

Nope not a fire break. Went by yesterday Cut all pine trees from road to river. Thinned oaks to sporadic trees here and there. I guess I have too much emotional attatchment to the area. My father hunted under the same tree for 25 years. Had hoped to spread ashes there someday. That oak tree didn't make it. Some of my best memories had been with my family in those woods. I have those and it is not like they were taken away. Saw the flocks of turkeys had moved across the road. I assume this will be either no hunting or archery only due to no longer having many trees around. There was a lot of rotten timber near road but there was also large mature white pines. Sounds like they are all ending up as wood chips. Should take a year or two but like others had said there will be growth. Just not much cover.

Maybe the whitetail habitat isnt there anymore. but i bet there is a chance of prairie chickens flourishing sometime in the future, if the so called refuge is large enough and kept to savanah type habitat. there is a place by huntersville that is burnt regularly, and it is very large in area. people deer hunt it all the time, and there is hardly any habitat you'd find typical for deer. it is being restored to native grasses, and prairie chickens are there. that area is a long ways from any natural habitat for the chickens, but, they are surviving just fine. switchgrass makes for excellent cover for anygame. I dont think many people have ever walked through it. its tall and dense. deer can hide in it very easily. I just think people walk through most meadows in MN and think its switchgrass they're walking through. they're wrong, its usually reed canary, and reed canary doesnt get half as tall or dense as a good stand of switchgrass.

The Refuge already has a great deal of prairie. The problem I see with returning this to an oak savannah is the issue Sherburne County has with oak wilt. If the oak wilt tears through these areas, they will probably end up being prairie. I have noticed that the managers of the refuge have been pretty agressive in stopping the spread of the forest areas. There are many areas where they go in and clear all the young trees coming up in the fields. If they keep this up, the Refuge will end up being a big prairie/swamp mixture with very few trees. Given the problems with oak wilt, I think their efforts of returning this to an oak savannah are very short-sighted.