• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enclosed Trailer? Hard top or SnoCap?

Hookmaster

What are the pluses and minuses of each of these? If you had a choice which would you prefer for a sled that will be outdoors year round? Is the SnoCap canvas or some higher tech synthetic material? How long would a SnoCap last?

I just bought a SnoCap this year and couldnt be happier. I finally made the move after years of hesitation after seeing how well my buddies has held up. His is over 10 years old and still looks good. The material is VERY weather resistant and should hold up well for years to come but it is something other than plain canvas. What I like most is how light it is and easily manueverable by hand, and it really feels no different pulling it compared to an open trailer. My mileage hasnt seemed to change with it as opposed to a hard side that seem to act as a sail sometimes. When pulling them I've lost noticeable mileage. Now we pull up, load, tie down and are on our way in no time compared to messing with covers and salt shield and stuff. Its also come in handy already for moving furniture during sloppy weather.

As far as leaving a sled in it year round, the hard side may be a better option security-wise.

My mistake, on the enclosed, I thought you were comparing to a full hardside box trailer. The "hard shell" caps are also nice, but IMO they are less versatile and a quite a bit heavier than a soft side. The gas shocks are a bit spendy if they fail and very hard to open without them. Other than that, when we use my buddies it pulls nice too.

In my opinion I would get the hard top because my buddies had their trailer with a sno cap on it cut open while fishing on red lake. This is one thing that would deter me from getting a canvas cover. Other than that they are both great options and you should be happy with either one.

I hope when you get it, you are as pleased with it as I have been with mine.

After reading Mac's posts over the years, I am very sure Mac is the kind of person who goes the extra mile to take care of his things purchased. Are you? grin

The Snocaps are a very good alternative to an open trailer. A buddy of mine who lives in Becker had purchased one of these covers from a place down by Howard Lake a hand full of years back. He is generally a picky guy to begin with, but he was not satisfied with his Snocap purchase grin. His main issue was he had been told it could be used as a year round outdoors storage unit, but being out in the open and slightly under an oak tree is "not" the best place to store it wink . The original dark black cover has faded some. He paid a pretty penny for the added feature of the Snocap and combined with his original trailer purchase price, he should have just bought an enclosed trailer. The other issue is when "he" caught the front superstructure support with his ski while loading and bent it forward. The front hatch does not line up correctly, but it still closes. To add insult to injury grin his kids or one of the neighborhood kids ripped the cover some how laugh

With the above being said, to me, it serves it purpose well. I know my friend has caused most of his issues, but I figure I would bring them up for reference. Even a hardtop trailer stored outside year round is subject to exterior fading or damage. If you have a garage, shed, or lean-to to store it in, I would recommend it highly. He also has said he has had issues like it is a big sail when pulling in a cross wind, but any enclosed trailer will do this. laugh

If you have one custom built, make sure you have a gas door(s) with zippers added in wink . Even with the rear lift, the gas doors make it much easier at the pumps when you are running late for a day of riding. A mistake my friend regretted from the get go. Also ee wired up a cargo light he bought from Milaca Unclaimed Freight inside for light during night time loading and unloading, but I think the ones they offered are more built in and IMO a light is very great feature once the ignition is shut off on the sled (headlights go off).

As far as adding a hard cover (fiberglass or aluminum), I expressed some of my suggestions here in this thread:

***Click Here***

Good luck! smile

If you have one custom built, make sure you have a gas door(s) with zippers added in wink . Even with the rear lift, the gas doors make it much easier at the pumps when you are running late for a day of riding. A mistake my friend regretted from the get go. Also ee wired up a cargo light he bought from Milaca Unclaimed Freight inside for light during night time loading and unloading, but I think the ones they offered are more built in and IMO a light is very great feature once the ignition is shut off on the sled (headlights go off).

Absolutely correct! Gas door is a must! Mine came with it, but I think its standard. I also added two "loading lights" that are wired into the tail light circuit. I switched them at the rear so they can easily be turned on before loading.

Also, I neglected to mention that my decision was based partially on the fact that I use my trailer in the summer for ATVs in addition to snowmobiles in the winter, and the Snocap offered more interior room/vesatility for the ATVs than a hard shell does.

Quote:
and the Snocap offered more interior room/vesatility for the ATVs than a hard shell does.

Yes they do. I do not have a Snocap, but I have a Bear Cat enclosed trailer. One of the reasons I love it sooo much is because of the headroom like the Snocap has. Not only for four-wheelers, but having the head room opens up the uses for the trailer by leaps and bounds. Furniture, Motor Cycles, moving boxes and many things. The hardcaps pretty much only can haul small stuff and sleds. You can not even fit a full sized couch in them. If you live in the city and can not have more than one trailer at your home, guess what needs to be done when your lovely wife purchases something "you" have to pick up? Yes! You guessed it wink You have to remove it wink . No matter what, at least three guys are needed, because aluminum caps are heavy enough. A fiberglass cap is crazy heavy. Another good point with Snocap would be if for some reason it needs to removed, one person can handle it.

I have a SnoCap on my 4 place and love it. My dad actually had it put on about 10 years ago as well, unfourtunately it didnt have lights in it as well so we added them. I store my sleds in it all year. We did have someone go into it the trailer one time but they went in the back and just unzipped it and took manuels out of the trunks. So from that standpoint I guess it is better then having them brake in a door or window. We just lock the tie down bars and their good to go. A little TLC on the cover and it should last. We sealed it with a canvas sealer/cleaner and do so every summer prior to storage and it still looks good, and it does sit outside in the sun. They seem to have great customer service as they had to fix a zipper and went through and patched some other holes that we made while it was in their shop. I am curious as to the gas doors you guys have mentioned, mine does not have one and it sounds like a nice addition. Is it just a zippered door on the side?

Yes, its just a small zippered slot in the side with a flap to cover the zipper. Open it up and slide the pump handle through, close it up when finished. Way easier than trying to stretch the hose in from the rear.

They could probably add one on fairly easily.

From my experiences with the Snocap, I would even have them (if it could fit) put a door similar to an flip-over portable ice shelter on the drivers side Something like a big C zipper door.

I bought a trailer with a SnoCap last Saturday. It is an 8.5x12 plus the v-front Triton Elite. Most aluminum or fiberglass tops I saw on Craig 's List are on 8.5x10 trailers and I wanted to be sure to have enough room for a 2-up sled. I plan on getting a larger insulated Canvas Craft fish house so I can have that in the trailer too instead of the back of the pickup. I won't have to worry about the weight in the sled for taking it out of the pickup, just slide it down the ramp. This trailer will be more versatile, as previously mentioned, than an aluminum or fiberglass top for hauling other stuff. I'm sure some times I will bring a sled and my buddy's 4-wheeler. I noticed it catching some wind but the mileage was like pulling my 17 foot boat so not terrible. I'm excited since I before I buy my sled I can at least borrow one from a friend. I plan on storing it outside but will probably put up one of those canopies and hang tarps in front and back too keep more weather out.

I cant remember the name of the sealer that we used when we got it. We use No Touch High Shie Tire Care on it every summer before we store it. It is the spray foam. Take a damp towel and wipe the whole trailer down. Looks band new after you do this and will protect it for the summer. We do it again when we winterize the sleds in the fall. Sorry it so long to get back, was out of town.