• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shore Flyfishing Carp

I moved this fall and am no longer all that close to my parents boat, which was my only way to get on the water. So, now I need to find another way to get out fishing.

I'm up in the NE Metro and figured there has to be a decent spot to pull a fly rod out and shore fish for some carp.

Anyone know of any decent spots where a guy can get out and have a chance at carp from shore around the Centerville area?

Any advice is appreciated.

Nope, not me. I wish I had the money right now to get a little 14 footer, but with recently buying a house and getting engaged, it's not really in the cards. I've got a canoe, but at 17', it's not the easiest thing to go soloing in.

yeah im in the same boat... ha. literally. congrats on the engagement! My royalex canoe is taking on water and weighs upward of 120 pounds.. yikes

i'm not sure of your exact location but practically anywhere in the mississippi is pretty decent. i like clear water for sight fishing, personally so maybe a smaller lake near your house with some sand or gravel flats?

On a fly. No worries its all about the discharges hot or cold if your willing to drive to the sw metro I got a list of places for you otherwise for carp I have found its all about them getting their owes I work downtime I found a place there too

I've found a spot near my house where Peltier lake dumps into George Watch lake through Rice creek. From the DNR I see there are cap in Peltier and I would assume there are in the rest of that little chain of lakes.

Q: Do these fish look for moving water like this? Or would I be better off looking for spots on the lake to try for them?

Shrader - Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for places close to home to try and wet a line for these things. I've really got no idea what I'm doing with this species and just trying to figure out where to start.

I've heard that the Rice Creek chain has lots of carp, but go earlier in the season before it gets too mucky. I know the creek as it flows into new brighton over near Long Lake has lots of them. It's a little bit drive from Centerville, but really not bad. Sight fishing for carp can be a blast in clear water, especially early in the year. If the cottonwood seeds are falling, try light colored yard flies.

i fly fish for carp from shore. where i fish, you can literally just drop a fly next to the shoreline. most of the carp feed less than 10 feet from the shore. let me know if you wanna come up and fish with me. its a great place for very consistent action for carp on the fly! (20 carp on the fly per day is not hard to get here)

I wish I had the money right now to get a little 14 footer, but with recently buying a house and getting engaged, it's not really in the cards.

You better get that boat soon she'll be okay for 1 now but once "I do" comes out your out of luck.

Well, I got out yesterday over lunch at a spot near my work. I brought the fly rod with my just in case. As I walked up to the creek which flows into a lake, I could see a fish slowly swimming away from me. I got a little closer and just watched it for a little while then took a cast.

My first two casts were not close and thought I spooked the fish. My third cast slowly drifted right in front of it's nose and it took the fly. What I thought was a carp from a distance ended up being a nice smallmouth bass.

It wasn't what I was going for, but it was an ok start to my open water season. I'll just have to be more careful on my species ID before casting next time. I know there are carp in there.

You really should try West Vadnais Lake. It is easily accessible on the south side. You can cast through clearings with a driveway behind you, so backcasting shouldn't be a problem. I've been down there just watching the carp suck air a short distance from shore and kicking myself for having the wrong tackle. West Vadnais is thick with carp. Good luck!

What types of flies do you guys use for rough fish? Is there anything that is pretty universal for targeting a number of species?

use small caddis, mayfly, and chironomid nymph patterns like you would for trout. The main difference is that flies for roughfish often need to be heavier to get down in the current, fast. Also, make sure the hooks are at least 1X strong or 2X Heavy. A redhorse caught on a size 14 fine wire nymph hook will most definitely straighten it out.