• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cheap Memory???

hoggs222

New Egg... I just picked up 2 one gig sticks for a friends PC for 27 a piece. His mother board excepted the 1 gig sticks yours may not it depends on the board. 512 sticks will cost you more if you go that route.

What are you trying to accomplish with the ram upgrade.

Another vote for Crucial, mainly cause it is so darn easy with their scanning tool... But have used both New Egg and Tiger for electronics with no probs and fast delivery. Maybe with the nod for price from New Egg...

All I'm trying to do is speed up my older pc (5 years). I currently have a 512 & 2x256 installed. Just looking to get up to 2gb or more to run a few programs that need at least 1gb of ram or more. My system can handle up to 4gb.

All I'm trying to do is speed up my older pc (5 years). I currently have a 512 & 2x256 installed. Just looking to get up to 2gb or more to run a few programs that need at least 1gb of ram or more. My system can handle up to 4gb.

Make sure you go to crucial to find out what Ram your board can use. I'd guess it won't use the 1 gig sticks. Just because the programs say you need 2 or more gigs to function properly doesn't mean they won't run fine with your current set-up.

Good Luck!

I did the crucial test and it said I'd be ok with 1gb sticks. My max is 4gb, but it may only recognize 3.5.

The board will recognize all 4GB, but your will need a 64bit Operating System to use more than 3.something GB. A 32 bit OS can only address 4GB and some of that space is used for addressing hardware, so that is why you only can use about 3.5GB.