• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendation for new carbides for xc500

BoxMN

I have never replaced carbides before, just still a two year newbie smile but I think my xc500 (2002) needs new carbides. Pushing into corners, and I think they are just worn down.

What do it look for? Length? Brand, etc.? Mostly just trail and lake riding, and I just want better cornering control. In Brainerd area, so plenty of roads to be crossing if that matters. Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

back in the day we just ran regulars bars which i think do the job just fine really if you just riding

the carbide helps on ice but i done see it helping in snow or

crossing the road all the road does is wear them down and carbides are 8 times more spendy

the wear bar is really what it states.. for wear other wise you would be replacing skis

kinda like a cutting edge on a dozer or blade

my sled only has 1500 miles on it so i havnt replaced mine yet either i spose carbides last longer that regular ones

not sure if you can even buy regular ones any more

i'm sure you'll get plenty of advice....lol

Do I need to know the type of skis instead of sled model/year?... on dk I don't see any listed when I put in my sled model info... and not to many "fitment" listings for the wear rods/carbides... kinda confusing for a new guy like me smile

My bro-in-law said when he put on new carbide wear rods that his stearing hooked up and was like night and day. I will try this first, then move on to more suspension tweaks.

take one of and take it with youso you are sure the holes line up

i guess thats what i would do

again if you look at em you'll kinda get my point the bar is whats turning not those few pieces of carbide unless you are on ice alot

and your not if your the trails and lakes

just my opinion

You need to match the grip of the carbides with the grip of the track or the front end will get "squirrley".

Do you have studs? How high are the lugs in the track? If you put too much carbide on in front of a track that cannot grip you will have all sorts of handling problems.

Without studs I would suggest a 4" or 6" carbide in a 7/16" bar. That would handle nicely. With up to 96 studs, go to at least 6" carbide, and with 144+ studs go to 8" or more. If you can find a 1/2" bar that will help with any combination.

Thaks for info hydro. I checked this weekend, and the track only measures 1". Is that common for this sled? I aqlso checked my wear bars... ummm, I am waaaaaay over due. I took them off and will pick some up tomorrow. One was paper thin in the middle, and the other must have just wore through, as it was two pices when I took it off.

The skis on the polaris are sort of banana shapped compared to the yammha venture skis, and I must have only looked at the front or rear of the skis on it and not the middle when I checked last fall. Cause right in the middle is where the most wear is. I am learning, just glad I did check it before ruining my skis.

Box,

With 1" lugs I would look for 6" of carbide on a 1/2" host bar. The large bar will help in the snow and the carbide will give the bite you need on icy trail patches. Most likely your track was a 1" pattern to start with, and with the grip provided by 1" lugs, good runners on the skiis will make a big difference in your handling.

Thanks guys. Just picked up 6" carbides on 1/2" bars from my local Polaris dealer. $68, less than I had been expecting. I can tell just from looking at them that my xc500 "pusing into corners" is going to be fixed with the new bars smile Can't wait for the weekend!