• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009-2010 MN Snowmobile Regs, Fees, & Safety Info

Shack

For the Complete Minnesota Snowmobiling 2009-2010 Safety Laws, Rules & Regulations .PDF:

!!!!!CLICK HERE!!!!!

Below is some quick reference information from the MN DNR website:

Snowmobile safety training

snowmo_safety.gif

Image of hunter education program emblem.

Youth Certification

Requirements

* Youth ages 11 -15 are eligible to complete the course. Certification becomes valid at age 12.

* Must attend and pass a youth snowmobile safety certification class.

Classes

* Check currently scheduled classes listed below.

* Contact your local Conservation Officer

* Check your local newspaper

* Check additional info at the Minnesota United Snowmobilers Association This link leads to an external site. Web site.

Fees

* Class fees are from $5 to $10, and will be collected by the instructor. Checks must be made payable to the Dept. of Natural Resources.

General Information

The youth snowmobile safety training class is an introductory class of approximately 12 hours, designed primarily for the snowmobile rider with little or no experience in snowmobile operation. The course includes a hands-on operating field day.

For general information on snowmobile safety training call (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157.

Duplicate snowmobile certificates can be obtained by calling (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157. There is a $5 replacement fee.

Adult Certification

Requirements

* Ages 16 and older are eligible for certification.

* Certification required by law for anyone born after December 31, 1976.

* Must complete and pass an Independent Study Snowmobile CD, or a Youth Snowmobile Certification class.

Classes

* Check currently scheduled classes listed below.

* Contact your local Conservation Officer

* Check your local newspaper

* Check additional info at the Minnesota United Snowmobilers Association Web site.

Fees

* $10 fee mailed in with completed Independent Study Snowmobile CD Certificate.

* Class fees are from $5 to $10, and will be collected by the instructor. Checks must be made payable to the Dept. of Natural Resources.

General Information

Adult snowmobile safety certification is for snowmobile operators age 16 and over. Anyone born after December 31, 1976 is required by law to hold snowmobile certification. The course is designed to show the student the most common causes for snowmobile accidents in Minnesota, and how to avoid becoming an accident statistic.

To obtain the Snowmobile Safety Training CD, or for general information, please call (888) 646-6367, (651) 296-6157, or (800) 366-8917, or email at [email protected].

Duplicate snowmobile certificates can be obtained by calling (888) 646-6367 or (651) 296-6157. There is a $5 replacement fee.

Find (and sort) more courses on the DNR Safety Training Calendar!

SnowmobileSafety.jpg

Originally Posted By: MN DNR
Snowmobile registration procedures & fees

Registration procedures

The State of Minnesota requires only a current registration on snowmobiles. At this time, you do not need a certificate of title for your snowmobile.

Register your new snowmobile:

* In person at any deputy registrar of motor vehicles (where you license your car) or at the DNR License Bureau in St. Paul (500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN).

Renew your snowmobile registration:

* In person at any deputy registrar of motor vehicles (where you license your car) or at the DNR License Bureau in St. Paul (500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN).

* Online using the online licensing system.

Duplicate snowmobile safety cards are available:

* At DNR license agents

* At the DNR Central Office in St. Paul

* By phone [(888) 665-4236 ]

* Through the DNR online licensing system.

Forms:

* Universal registration form This is a PDF file. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download it.

* Permit to operate or transport collector snowmobile(s) This is a PDF file. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to download it.

SnowmobileFees.jpgSnowmobileFees2.jpg

Originally Posted By: MN DNR
Snowmobilers' code of ethics

1. I will be a good sports enthusiast. I recognize that people judge all snowmobile owners by my actions. I will use my influence with other snowmobile owners to promote fair conduct.

2. I will not litter on trails or camping areas. I will not pollute lakes or streams.

3. I will not damage living trees, shrubs, or other natural features. I will go out only when there is sufficient snow so that I will not damage the land.

4. I will respect other people's property and rights.

5. I will lend a helping hand when I see someone in distress.

6. I will make myself and my vehicle available to assist search and rescue parties.

7. I will not interfere with or harass hikers, skiers, snowshoers, ice anglers, or other winter sports enthusiasts. I will respect their rights to enjoy our recreation facilities.

8. I will know and obey all federal, state/provincial and local rules regulating the operation of snowmobiles in areas where I use my vehicle. I will inform officials when using public lands.

9. I will not harass wildlife. I will avoid areas posted for the protection or feeding of wildlife.

10. I will stay on marked trails or marked roads open to snowmobiles. I will not snowmobile where prohibited.

Source: DNR Snowmobile Safety Training Manual

Bump to the top... maybe this can save someone an unneeded ticket. We found out the hard way that even though you are 32 years old and driving a 25yr old $200 beater sled (putt putting out to a fishing spot), you still need the safety certificate.

You'd think a warning in exchange of taking the class would suffice (especially for a first time sled owner), but I guess ignorance is no excuse.