• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bolt Action Jammng

I have a savage model 11 in the 22-250, 4 shell clip, shooting winchester usa 45grains; and after hunting this weekend and trying to take more than one shot, the rifle would jam up after ejecting the 1st shell. am i running the bolt too fast and agressive? when target shooting, i shoot, then slowly eject the shell; the bolt doesnt fling the shell but it takes it out of the way to load another. rifle is clean shoots perfect, but wish the ejection was cleaner

any suggestions?

been a while since I did it, but I thought savage had something on their HSOforum about it. It is help in place by a tension spring and ball bearing, so becareful not to shoot the spring and ball bearing into the world of the missing sock....Let me take a look at my 243 this later this afternoon and see if i can get it figured out. check savage first though

Just pulled the bolt, the extractor is brass and if you slide it forward, a small gap opens up between the the extractor and the bolt, that is very you slide a small thin screwdriver blade to compress the ball bearing enough for you to push that extractor towards the firing pin, go slowly and be careful. you just need to to get the extractor off the ball bearing enough to get it off the the retaining hole....carfully remove the small spring and ball bearing, clean and extremely lightly lubricate the spring and bearing. re install....

hope this helps. I can't remember exactly if you push the extractor forwards or backwards, so if it won't go forwards, try the opposite way. Don't force anything and don't lose those little parts....

thanks for the tips Picks; I tried to take the extractor out via your method with the screw driver with no luck, couldnt get the screw driver on top of the bearing to hold it in place. so i sprayed it down with some deep creep to hopefully breakup some crud in the exctractor and the ejector spring. we'll see how that works tonight.

It should, take quite a bit of shooting to weaken a spring. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just not likely. I would look for crud build up. I'm not familiar with rifles as much as shotguns so take this for what its worth. The the extractor should be able to move a little bit. if there is crud in there, the spring might not be strong enough to move it properly and resulting in not ejecting the casing. Gun scrubber spray might help immensley. Follow it with a high pressure blast of air, maybe a keyboard cleaner from any store that carries electronics, and then a light oil lube. The best option would be what picks said, to take it all apart, and clean everything well. But that can be tricky, so you might want to try it without. Putting more lube, penetrating oil etc... in could potetially just gunk it up more. Again, take it for what its worth, but I have refinished and restored multiple guns, often stiff and unworking, taking it apart will still be your best bet.

thanks trigger; after flushing it with WD last night and wiping it down, I tried testing it and it seemed to have the same action, the shells come out but dont "fling out to the next county" i may just have to bring the bolt in to a gunsmith or try getting a better screw driver to take the spring out; i would like to take out the ejector srping too, but that looks more complicated...

I might have a little more time this weekend to look at my 243 bolt and will try and remember how exactly I got it out, If I remember, I will take pictures and repost.....It is really simple when you do it, just don't lose the parts or let them bounce around the county either

thanks again picks; i did get the extractor out; and like you said it was easy, just need to keep an eye on the parts! I couldnt get the ejector out. I read somewhere that the Savage's original brass extractor is made of softer metals then what they have now for a replacement, so i may need to call savage for the replacement.

Do you think its more of a extractor then an ejector problem?