• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ambush Saddle

FLaker

I have been reading John Eberhart's book "Bow Hunting Pressured Whitetails" and he swears by the Ambush Saddle. He also talks about hunting 25-35 feet up in a tree. I am pretty new to bow hunting so any seasoned veterans want to chime in on this? Ever used an Ambush Saddle? How high do you stand (saddle or portable)?

FLaker

My cousin uses one and likes it a lot. Once you buy the saddle and a bunch of steps he says its well worth the money. If I ever get the money I am going to buy one. and for the versatility since you can go in almost any tree that isnt suitable for a treestand and how portable they can be I think they would be worth it.

I was looking at getting one about 3 years ago and was really skeptical about how well they worked but decided to take the plunge and drop $200 on one. Well worth it! Best stand I own and pretty much the only one I use now. It looks kind of akward but once you sit in one you wonder why you havent been using one all your life. I just like how versatile it is because you can set it up in almost any tree and it only weighs a few pounds and only takes a few minutes to set up. The only complaint I have is the strap that connects you to the tree could get in your way if you had to switch to a shot on the other side of the tree but I havent ran into a problem with it yet and the pluses outweigh the negatives so far. I got the deer in my avatar with my saddle this year, I scouted the land and set up within the same hour and a couple hours after sitting in my stand that guy and a nice 8 and a spike all came within 20 yards and had no idea I was there. I have had a few buddies sit in them for a night hunting and every one that has sat in one has said they are going to buy one as soon as they can so In really think it is a good investment.

If you slide too far forward you could loose some circulation but its just a matter of standing up and sliding yourself back or just pushing yourself away from the tree to take some pressure off. As for long sits it is very comfortable. The longest I can sit in a normal portable is maybe 2 or 3 hours before I start getting uncomfortable and with my tree saddle I have done a few sits over 5 or 6 hours and was still pretty comfortable at the end of it.

I don't own one but I am all about getting as high as possible.

For those that do not climb very high, try going higher 2-3 ft every outing to get more comfortable with the heights.

I would also practice more at the higher heights as the angle is much steeper.

To start off with you are reading a great book, every bow hunter could probably learn something from the Eberharts, they know their stuff.

I will admit I have never used a saddle, I love the concept and I lot of people say they are great but I just can't get myself to buy one without giving it a test for for at least a few hunts. Its hard to imagine being able move around a tree to get into a shop position even though many people say it isn't bad. Now I just have to find someone who owns a saddle who's willing to let me give it a test drive.

Just did a search on this. That little piece of mesh and hokey harness is $200? Wow, they sure must be proud of them! I can't see me ever coughing up that kind of dough.

Just did a search on this. That little piece of mesh and hokey harness is $200? Wow, they sure must be proud of them! I can't see me ever coughing up that kind of dough.

I have to agree, there was certainly some sticker shock when I first saw the price. If they were $50 I think I would have given them a try but $200 does seem a little crazy.

$200 is cheap when you consider it is the only "stand" that you need. Setup different locations with steps or sticks and you are good to go. Plus, no one is going to walk off with it, as you wear it back to the truck when you are done.

I have to agree. Well worth if your a guy like me who likes to have at least 5 or 6 different stands set up at one given time. Instead of spending $75 bucks on each stand plus tree steps I only spend $200 plus tree steps and dont have to worry about it being stolen because I take it with me every time and only takes about 30 seconds to set back up. Much more comfortable than a portable too and no metal parts to squeak. I didnt like the looks of the mesh ones either so I got the neoprene type one and it would be pretty hard to put a rip in that stuff. They are probably not worth it to some people but once I sat in it a few times and got used to it I would honestly pay double what they cost because it basically replaced all of my old stands and I dont ever need to look for another one until this one wears out.

$200 is cheap when you consider it is the only "stand" that you need. Setup different locations with steps or sticks and you are good to go. Plus, no one is going to walk off with it, as you wear it back to the truck when you are done.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent more than $200 on my climber stand and I have no problem putting a lot of $$$ down on hunting gear. I just have a hard time buying some straps and mesh for $200. If I had any sewing skills I could probably make my own with $25 in materials.

Again I'm not saying its not a great product, I am just questioning the value, I think the prices scares a lot of people away who might be willing to give this a shot. I know it did for me.

Ya, if you look at the cost of the materials, the"tree diaper" is way overpriced, but the same can be said for any stand, or anything else you buy for that matter. I think what scares people away, is not knowing if it will work well for them in particular. It does take a little agility, overall body strength to pull off some of the more difficult shots. Not a good setup for the average couch potato. If I were selling them, I would give a loaner to each store that sells them. I went back and forth along while before pulling the trigger also.

A loaner would make perfect sense, I would certainly give it a try. Like you said a lot of unknowns with saddle, I think people can look at any deer stand and know how to setup and hunt out of it so its an easier purchase.

Thanks for all the great responses on this. I think I will probably get one and I should have no problem selling it at 1/2 price if I don't like it. For those that have them and use them, they do swear by them. I have yet to hear of someone who bought it and disliked it. Usually, forums are the place where Boo Birds have no problem voicing their opinion.

FLaker

A loaner would make perfect sense, I would certainly give it a try. Like you said a lot of unknowns with saddle, I think people can look at any deer stand and know how to setup and hunt out of it so its an easier purchase.

Could you imagine the insurane issues involved in renting out something where you're going to use it 20+ feet in the air? OMG the ambulance chasing lawyers are drooling at the thought.

Thanks for all the great responses on this. I think I will probably get one and I should have no problem selling it at 1/2 price if I don't like it. For those that have them and use them, they do swear by them. I have yet to hear of someone who bought it and disliked it. Usually, forums are the place where Boo Birds have no problem voicing their opinion.

FLaker

Not sure if I can say the name of the store on here but if you are worried about not liking it try ordering it from that big retail store that starts with a C and ends with abelas. Thats what I did just in case because they have a 90 day money back guarantee if you dont like it for any reason so you can at least try it out a couple times before being stuck with it. I really do think you will like it because like I said already I have loaned it to a few buddies to try and every one so far has been really happy with it and some have even went out and bought their own after a night of sitting in it.