• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone else find this ridiculous??

Coach1310

Storming Court Costs South Carolina $25,000

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina's first victory over a No. 1 team will cost $25,000.

The Southeastern Conference said Wednesday that South Carolina will be fined for violating league rules against permitting fans on the playing area following a 68-62 victory over top-ranked Kentucky on Tuesday night.

The league said this was South Carolina's second violation, which triggered the higher fine. The first violation also followed a victory over Kentucky on Feb. 15, 2005. Fans rushed the Colonial Life Arena court after the Gamecocks 73-61 win over then-No. 3 Kentucky. The athletic department was fined $5,000 by the league.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive said the policy is to keep a safe environment for those who participate and attend league events.

Now I think this whole "storming the court" thing is pretty out of hand, but to fine a school $25,000 is nuts!! You could have 50 security working and in a situation like this, the court will be stormed.... no doubt about it.

This just further reaffirms my believe that the only things the NCAA and it affilitates(SEC) cares about are playing God and $$$$.

Yeah I agree, this is so stupid! I understand they are trying to protect the athletes on the court but the school is never going to hire enough security to keep proud fans from storming the court and celebrating with them.

I heard South Carolinas AD actually asked the NCAA if he could appeal the fine since it was such a huge upset and that students have been dropping off a dollar each to help out with the fine. The school has more than enough money to pay for this but I agree c'mon and relax and "enjoy the season!"

Lame. They are a repeat violator, even though it happened 5 years ago??!!!!! None of those kids were even there then!!!!! Let them have their fun!

I have the NCAA, its all about control and money.