• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Monark boats?

caughtacase73

I have a soft confirmation from my wife that I can buy a family (fishing) boat.

I would like something deep and wide to keep the kiddies inside.

I found a 2000 17' Monark boat online in my price range. But I can't find any information about the brand of boat.

Does anyone own one or have any experience or information about them.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Travis

They were very similar to starcraft of the same era. Not a bad boat... they performed pretty decent and had some decent features for the money.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but in general, they were decent boats. They really weren't competitors with Alumacraft, Crestliner or Lund when it came to quality, etc.. but a decent budget conscience boat.

marine_man

I've fished out of a mid-2000's 17footer with a 115 optimax a few times and liked it. Very nice ride, great holeshot and well built. I've been out in some pretty nasty stuff with it and didn't have much concern about my safety. It breaks waves pretty well and just for comparison I've had to lead the way a couple times with it for a buddy of mine with a similar sized Sylvan.

You can get a good amount of water spray over the bow, but the windshield deflects most of it, unless you have a person sitting in the rear seats.

It doesn't have the most storage or best layout, but it works for the average weekend fisherman. And the livewells could be in easier accesible locations and they don't drain quite fast enough so they will overflow if you leave the pump on too long.

But for the price they are a decent boat and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if it was my style of boat(I prefer bass boats) and fit into my price range.

They are a decent boat. I had a 1997 1900. The storage and stuff was not very good. very little for a 19' boat. It held up well, took a pounding on Lake of the woods and Mille lacs. I even hit rocks and 35 mph sending the boat airborn. the hull survived that, never leaked a bit of water. I sold it to my dad and he is still running it.

i have a little 14' monark jon boat that i use for duck huntin and on a few small lakes up north for fishin by myself. its been in my family since 1982 i believe. and boy, is it the most dependable little crapper ever smile i know u want that 17', but u can definitely trust monark to deliver on a good boat. i just put on a camo pain job last summer, and she looks brand new. for a 14', the thing rides waves like a battleship on any windy day, or big wakes

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it would be a good for my family.

The boat I was looking at must have sold. Never received a reply and the ad was pulled. So the search continues. Anyone know of a 17' - 19' aluminum fishing boat with full windshield for around $7000 let me know. [email protected]

Monark is made by starcraft, the Monark line of boats are also known as Legend in Canada.

I own an 04' King 170, with an Opti 115 on the back, I enjoy the boat, it certainly wasn't my first choice, but I wasn't the only one buying the boat. My wife had wants and I had wants, her wants were a full windshield, a deep floor (we have 2 small kids), "fluffy" seats in the bow and a couple other pleasure boating requests. My wants were simple, a front casting deck, a rear casting deck, storage and rod lockers... After looking around I had decided that our best options were the Alumacraft Trophy or a Crestliner Sportfish, problem was the model years I needed for premium financing was out of our price range.

We continued to look and found a Monark forsale, judging from the pics it looked like something that satisfied both needs. We went and looked in person and sure enough, it had a jump bench in back that could be folded up for more seating or folded down for a massive rear deck, removable cushions in the bow for pleasure boating, and a Bimini top included, plus the fishing features I wanted.

One thing is fore sure it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Lund, Crestliner or Alumacraft, but it didn't cost as much either. It's a solid boat and I don't believe there is any skimping in quality, it handles big water well and gets both our jobs done well. Looking back we are happy with the purchase.