• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I've been out just about every day for the last 2 1/2 weeks and have been struggling to find good action around EC. Fished Half Moon several times because it's so close and I had success there last year and have also tried Little Wissota and Altoona this year in search of the fish...

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where and when the best bite is. I've been trying to find a spot to take the gf out to catch some fish and haven't really had any luck :-/

I'm open to ideas for any species (crappies, gills, perch, eyes, northerns...) Any help would be much appreciated and I'll be sure to repost about the trip!

Half Moon tends to be an early morning bite, or was anyways. Same on Altoona although you can get a small window towards dark to pick up some crappies. Then on Wissota I did fair from around 11-1 and Badger did excellent same time frame. I heard the crappies are being caught around cribs out on Menomin.

Its probably gonna be a tough bite most places this time of the year. Stick with it, I don't know anyone catching fish on a consistent basis now.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Brunet Island State Park – Panfish ice fishing action has been fair with more small fish moving in to the bays.

Northern pike are being taken in the channels around the islands. Anglers are reporting generally good ice conditions in the backwater areas. The park does not monitor ice conditions.

The Cornell flowage water levels fluctuate throughout the year and we urge caution when venturing onto the ice.

Species of birds seen or heard include: ravens, crows, cardinals, flickers, black capped chickadees, northern juncos, pileated woodpeckers, great horned owls, barred owls, and bald eagles.

huntNfish - nice to meet you out on Halfmoon last week. How long did that bass end up being? I've been out there with the dog chating with guys fishing and the reports haven't been impressive - saw one gill on the ice last night. Oh, and how's the ice right by the shoreline? wink

Cooter - nice meetin you too! The bass was 19" and real thick. I'll be gettin a pic up here one of these days... As for the ice near the shoreline, just don't be jumpin around. I assume you heard my buddy went thru? He got one leg wet up to about his knee lol. Funny thing is I told him he was gonna fall thru and he didn't believe me!

Been meaning to ask you: have you been out on Dells Pond or heard anything over there? We're thinkin about headin over there, I was just wonderin if you had any pointers...

My brother saw you guys drying out socks! Yeah some pics of that bass would be great.

I haven't been out on dells this year, but do have a bud thats spent some time out there. He's down ok on crappies, he usually just fishes tip-ups and has caught a mix of eyes, pike, and a 46" muskie.

I'd be a bit leary of the ice there, its just about all open by the north crossing although there might be plenty down around the bend. People typically fish below McDonough(sp?) park off of birch street before it heads downtown. I'll see if I can get a report for you.

Same old on Halfmoon - slow for everyone I've talked to. I set tip-ups out for about and hour and half on Sunday with no action.

Getting a few good reports - at least much better than the past few weeks. Most of them are about crappies, Otter by Stanley, Lake Eau Claire by Augusta, and Menomin by Menomonie. Altoona is slow yet but typically has a good bite once the weather warms and the ice starts deteriorating.

I would get out if you can and hope for the best rather than waiting to hear about a hot bite and missing out on it. Good luck!

Well I ended up fishing the Eau Claire R at Big Falls for perch and got skunked, had one bite and missed whatever it was.

Time to hit the Chipp somewhere around town - see if I can break that magical 15" mark.

hey cooter i've been fishin the Chip from shore around the campus area and have had a little luck (and i mean just a little lol). Caught a 12" smallie and a 14" walleye last nite but got skunked tonite. any tips for shore fishing? like where and what to use?

Did you try by where little niagara dumps in? I haven't been down there in a while but its a pretty good spot from a boat, might be tough from shore if I remember right.

In general I like a jig/minnow over a lindy rig/minnow. However some spots you'll end up spending most of your time feeding the river jigs so you're stuck with a sinker/hook rig. With jigs, the old rule of lightest you can get by with holds true and will save on snagging up.

Other spots are the city shops hole, where the eau claire dumps in, and down where lowes creek dumps in. I haven't spent as much time on the river this spring as usual - in the past I've struggled to find fish over the 15" mark with any consistency. Still helps scratch the itch and just because I haven't torn them up doesn't mean you can't!

Found some decent gills last night, they were just off the break from a shallow flat with old beds on it. Also have been getting some bass but they've been on the small side. If the weather stays warm it shouldn't be long before the gills are in.