• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4hrs & 97 pages later...

Foster

I just got done looking thru all of the pages on this forum. I don't know if I should be proud or if I should be slapped! Yea, I'm a noob. I'm looking at a '95 polaris 440 (4K miles) for ice fishing. I don't know the model but it does have electric start and is water cooled. It needs new metal runners on the front(my brain is mush, I forgot what they're called). It started and sounded good. Several questions: Can you tell if the jackshaft bearings are ok by just looking under the sled? What in the world are scratchers? Should I just figure on buying new needles and seats for the carbs? I know I'm buying at the worst possible time and his price is high retail ($950). Gonna drive it tomorrow. Check for a smooth takeoff, what else?? I think I'll get away from this computer before I have an epilectic siezure....thanks in advance for any and all replies. Regards, Foster

the speedo will no longer work if you jack shaft is out. scratchers are springs that kick up ice to keep your hyfax cool when driving on minimal/ hard snow. if the sled takes off good and doesnt bog down at any speed all the engine stuff should be good. keep an eye on the oil comsumption make sure its using. also dont forget.... HAVE FUN!

Here's something to think about. It's the middle of January. Most people that were going to buy a sled, already bought one. Two winters ago I bought a sled at this time. I offered the guy 14 % less than he was asking. I told him I had cash on me, and if he'd take it, I'd buy on the spot. If he wouldn't, I had another one I wanted to look at (maybe I was bluffing a little). I got the sled for 13% less than asking price. The worst he coulda said was, "no". I saved 600 bucks, just by trying to negotiate.