• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Potty training question, sort of

sparetime

Second of two posts today about the pup. He is 7 months old, stays in kennel in the garage with an outdoor run. One leash walk and one off leash run per day, except when really cold. Then its just an off leash run.

I do some woodwork, so on the weekend I am out in the garage. On the weekend, I will let the puppy out for 10-15 minutes, then let him in to roam around the garage. The problem is, he comes back in and [PoorWordUsage] on the garage floor. Generally, he does not get to roam the garage during the week, Its outside for business and then back in during the week.

This Saturday for example, he was let out, let back in and [PoorWordUsage] on the floor, scolded him and put him outside for 10 minutes or so, then let him back in and within 2 minutes he peeded on the floor. Now my Blood Pressure was 300/200 and he was scolded, probably a little harshly, then placed in the kennel.

Any ideas on how to get across that he shouldn't be doing his business in the garage. I successfully house trained a previous dog, but in that case the dog was in the house supervised most of the time. The current puppy is let outside or in the kennel. I do see problems with this beyond my garage. When on hunting trips, I would like him to be trusted in hotels, or other places where he shouldn't relieve himself. Living in the house isn't an option currently.

Any thoughts?

When you house broke him, did he understand that also meant the garage too. Maybe he just doesn't know that the garage is off limits if he does not get out and be able to roam free inside of much. I would say to go through the potty training routine with the garage as well.

if hes eliminated on the floor before, he may associate the odor with a place that he can go to the bathroom. usually, at least with my pup, she goes in the same place outside everytime. pee's in one spot, and [PoorWordUsage]'s in another. just keep an eye on him when you bring him in, and when he starts to squat, give him a firm NO and haul his [PoorWordUsage] outside. he should get the idea rather quickly that the garage floor is off limits as well! and when he squats, and you haul him outside, give him praise just like you were originally potty training him when he goes outside.

Sparetime,

I hope you don't mind me joining your post, but my 2 year old lab is kind of doing the same thing to me in her kennel run.

She gets exercised regularly. I let her out at around 10pm to relieve herself in the woods behind the house and let her out in the morning between 6:30 and 7:00. But periodically she has an accident sometime during the night.

I don't know why, I thought maybe because I did not let here out early enough, but that did not turn out to be the problem, she would still do it before 6:30 somedays.

My last lab could hold it for over 12 hours if she had to and would not mess her living space.

I have made her space smaller by sliding the dog house up to the door of the kennel and leaving her only enough room to drink and eat and I thought that would help but then she peed her kennel anyway a couple of days in a row. Then she would be fine so I started to make her space bigger alittle bit each day. Then all of the sudden one day she peed and took a dump again during the night.

I don't get it.

I thought that maybe she has a bladder problem?

But she does not do it on a regular basis.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mine had very few 'accidents' anywhere but several months after his last he lifted leg and pizzed on a support pole at work, which has a concrete floor. Think maybe its tough for them to distinguish between outside and a garage/shed with concrete or cement - no expert here.

if hes eliminated on the floor before, he may associate the odor with a place that he can go to the bathroom. usually, at least with my pup, she goes in the same place outside everytime. pee's in one spot, and [PoorWordUsage]'s in another. just keep an eye on him when you bring him in, and when he starts to squat, give him a firm NO and haul his [PoorWordUsage] outside. he should get the idea rather quickly that the garage floor is off limits as well! and when he squats, and you haul him outside, give him praise just like you were originally potty training him when he goes outside.

This covers it, it is realy the only way to get it done, rubbing the nose ect. doesn't matter. It takes repitition just like anything for the training of the dog. The key as said is to get to them quickly. It is offten said you have 7 seconds max in a pups mind for a corection to be reinforced. If you get after them a hr later it has no effect but making the dog confused and timid at the site of you. If you dont catch it right away it's best to chalk it up as a missed opertunity and try to set up the senerio next time. Prety soon NO, will have them stopping and going towards the door.Many young dogs just don't have the capasity to hold it longer either, and when they go out, they get distracted by many noises, cars people sents ect. so you have to just make sure it is out long enough for it to register" OH I gota pizz". It is not uncommon for a dog to do this in a strange place either, but if it is trained at home, useualy only 1 correction is needed. They simply don't know where they are or are not allowed in new places. So even when you get him or her to not go in the garage, they may go a time or to when introduced to the house. And some dogs just take longer to develope that controll. All part of life with the dog. You will get through it. Just stay calm. I have had some take a year and some take a day. Good luck