• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

scope mounting question

I purchased a new scope and had it mounted at the store (scheels). When I zoom the scope to 9x (it's a 3x9x40) the scope image gets smaller. If I move my head closer, the image takes the full circle area like it does on the 3x.

Does that mean the scope is mounted too far forward, or is that the way it's supposed to look?

it's kinda hard for me to realize what is going on with your scope. But, I think I do have the idea. When I have a new scope mounted I stand there and wait til they have it in the rings but not opmpletely torqued down. Then, I take the rifle on 4 power, close my eyes, hit my anchor point, open my eye and see what the image looks like and make adjustements forward or rearward with the scope until it's where I want it. All my scopes are completely forward to where the ring is at the front bell portion of the scope. I'm guessing you are out of correct placement forward and back in the tube. I'd take it back and have them adjust your eye relief. One other thing, what is the height of your rings? Low, med or high?

I belive they are medium. Model is burris 420084

When I mount the rifle and look through the scope at 3x, the image I see fills the entire scope circle. When I move the magnification to 9x, the image in quite a bit smaller with black around where the full image once was. If I move my face up the stock, then the full image comes back.

sounds like scheels screwed up and didnt let you check the eye relief before they torqued the scope rings down. just loosen up the screws on the rings, and slide the scope forward or backward so that when you shoulder the rifle, the image in the scope is full, with no black ring around it, and tighten down the screws. very simple to do yourself.

also, i will attatch a scope mount to the rifle, set a small level on one of the mounts left-right, and level in the rifle in a bench rest. once level, try not moving the rifle too much, and set the scope in the rings, slide it until eye relief is right, then remove the cover from the tourrit on top of the scope, set the level on top of the scope, and twist it till its level. this way your the crosshairs are true to the world with your rifle, making sighting in easier. good luck

Thanks Vister, that is what I did. It took the screws all the way out of the rings. My base is a one piece. The rings wouldn't move unless they were all the way out.

There was one more notch back on the base. Moved the rings and scope back, slid the screws in the slots and tightened them down.

I bore sighted the scope using the neighbors yard light. I plan on going to the range either tomorrow on Monday to blast some rounds.