• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to get started....?

Acemac

have been a long time fisherman and heard lots of stories about the spear house of old form my father. I am curious how I would even go about getting into this sport? what types of things would i need and how the heck do i cut a hole in the ice without buying another peice of equipment that my wife will freak out about?

You could start by asking one of us guys if there is an open seat for spearing? I know of one that has one right now.and another that is willing to get you out and even use there gear all you need is the proper liecense and you could be on way as soon as this week end BTW laska has an open seat and I may have a house you could try out also along with merkman. check one of us out to see when things are going to open up.

As for things you need One is a spear the other a live decoy and possibly a couple fake ones also it really really helps to have a dark house and there are options for this. also if you have and ice auger you can cut open a hole with that as well. its nice to have a chisel too you also need something to get the block of ice out of the hole perfered metod involes Ice tongs. it looks like a lot of stuff but it not really and you can get started in realativly cheap if you do some smart shopping sales,internet and so on. It just may be easier if you ask if there is an open seat to see just how things work and what is accually needed for the wonderful sport of spearing. Here comes my discalimer thou I'm not to be held personally rsponsible for the addiction that you may get from this grin oh then theres some guys who love to spear and get into carving decoys... I'll save that for another post wink

I always have an open seat down here in winona, whenever, I could probably see what I have laying around for deaks too, last year I started spearing with a chisel, homemade spear, hand auger and a quickfish shack n a $20 bear creek northern pike natural decoy, now I have more but I won't get into how much I've spent thus far but basics r an auger and chipper/chisel and hand auger and a decoy n a shack... Can u post what u have so we know what else to tell you to have or what's going to work

Acemac,

There all right. You can read up on it as much as you want, or watch video, but if you can get out with someone and be able to watch what they do, if HUGE. The main things are easy to pick up, but its the little things that people sometimes forget when there out there, and with a few of the guys here that have been doing it for a long time, its worth your while to get out with us!

have been a long time fisherman and heard lots of stories about the spear house of old form my father. I am curious how I would even go about getting into this sport? what types of things would i need and how the heck do i cut a hole in the ice without buying another peice of equipment that my wife will freak out about?

Just e-mail me merk at prodigy dot net

I can set you up in a house with all the equipment free of charge for the day if you are just starting out.

We can spear in the double if you want me to give you some tips along the way, or the single if you prefer to be alone.

After you have tried it you will know if you wanna gear up for it.

Ohh yeah, welcome to FM.

If I come will you cut a hole for me too? I've already cut 20 this year, I have another 10 or so next week and I'm getting [PoorWordUsage] whistle

WOW P o o p e d is a bad word?

I have 3 that I have kept open... come on up.

Just to warn you, the Purveyor says I have stupid fish on my lake though.... and they are not attracted to fake decoys at all this year.

I have 3 that I have kept open... come on up.

Just to warn you, the Purveyor says I have stupid fish on my lake though.... and they are not attracted to fake decoys at all this year.

I didn't even mention the one I keep open.

Thanks for the offer Merk, I'm going to stick close to home this week end. I'm leaving for a week of spearing bright an early Tuesday.