• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Which Lens?

Looking to get some advice on which lens I should go with. I just picked up a used 40D with a 18-55 and want to get another lens with some reach. I shoot mostly wildlife, landscape, dogs and general use. I found these two lenses on B&H and they are close in price. Both get good reviews. Is there another lens that I am over looking in this price range? What would you do?

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens $600

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens $550

Iv'e got the F/4L and really like it, it's a bit short for wildlife (birds) but it is a very sharp lens. And Use it alot for shooting dogs FT/HT and hunting photo's. I borrowed the 70-300 IS a couple of weeks ago just to compare and I don't feel the 70-300 was near as sharp as the "L" .. I liked the reach and the IS but I know I wouldn't trade.

Here are a couple from the 70-200.

143.jpg

summit1.jpg

0212.jpg

PH, while the 70-200 is one of Canon's finest series (L), in this case I think the combination of image stabilization and 100mm more reach would put me in the camp of the 70-300. Both advantages, in my mind, more than make up for it not being an L lens, and the 70-300 is an excellent piece of kit capable of excellent image quality. Canon has a handful of non L lenses that offer L image quality without the heavier build and expense of the Ls, and the 70-300 IS is one of them.

I have the 70-300. I make it a point to stay at 200 or less. I think the quality of the shot drops after 200. But I am almost always handheld. I like the IS, but I would go with the 200 if I could do it again. Well it would be a 2.8 but still.....

300mm at maybe 25 yards

3189545675_fc89dc56b9_b.jpg

300mm at.. a ways

3361922052_a2b81ccff7_b.jpg

260mm atleast 60 yards if I recall with a heavy crop.

3565422306_e477c3ae33_b.jpg

300mm real close

This one is sharp. The lens in not junk, but these 4 shots are about all I saved pushing 300mm. For the most part everything else I save, in my short time spent with the camera, is at or under 200 mm. I was going to throw more stuff up under 200 mm but you could just look on flickr at some of my pics if you like. hwoodsphotos. I do not have any straight up 200 vs 300 shots for you. Keep in mind I am 1 year into this camera stuff and like I mentioned almost all handheld shots so I maynot be the best guy to refer to. And I know what you are saying about budget, it took many, I say many, years to get this rig.

3849780075_dd2579f5d5_b.jpg

Hwood,if this is not OK with you I'll delete it. I've had the 70-300IS also,and it does excellent work. It may take a little more PP to bring an image around than an "L" lens,but it is a quality lens-so I wouldn't pay any attention to what you might read on some other forums. Pretty much all lenses are sharp,but some non L lenses will need a little more boost in contrast and saturation in PP work to reveal what is there.

4278967370_d800e49306_o.jpg