• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

great New Puppy video

Todd Caswell

I recently got the "Training a retriever Puppy" DVD by Bill Hillman

I highly recomend it, it's a bit spendy but it really makes sence. Bill's had alot of success with FT Derby dogs and after I see how he starts a puppy I can see why. If your in the process of getting a new pup Id'e for sure take a look at this video.

what aspects of training does the video contain?

Thanks

If you not familar with Bill Hillman he has trained the most High point derby dogs in the history of FT's, he never has more than a couple of dogs on his truck, and when he gets a good one he travels the country running trials, his dogs always seem to be very calm and attentive on line, his good dogs are great markers and I believe alot of this has to do with how they pay attention at the line, his program is based on a very steady and happy dog from the get go, without alot of pressure early on.

The video basically starts out with a 11 week old puppy and has 28 days of training, not 28 days straight but 28 training sessions, there are no behind the scenes sessions these are the first 28 training sessions for "Nick" a chocolate male who ended up with a hadfull of derby points.

It's hard to explain with out seeing it but it's different from alot of other puppy stuff because it isn't step by step, one day we start on sit and then when we have that we go to the next step, it's all kind of put together a little bit at a time and in the end 4 to 5 monthes old you should have a dog that is steady, delievers to hand, is started on CC, holds, loves to retrieve and is a all around happy pup. Like i said it is hard to explain but would say that if you followed this program whether you want a trial dog , HT dog , hunting dog, or just a well behaved pet you would be happy with the results, when the time comes to start more advanced training. And that is really the key, at this point the puppy is ready and knows what is excected of him...

After watching the video I remembered I had some pictures of Nick (not good ones) all grown up running the derby at the Iron range trial.

20080719_1311.jpg

And a picture of one of the judges cool

FTironrange1232.jpg

Well worth the money.

One think is for certain in that picture Todd. That judge is one of the most well respected young judges in the field trial game!!!! hahaha

The pictures you take at these field trials are fantastic. I really hope you get a few of my young one this summer in the derby.

Hope you had success Saturday @ St. Cloud.

One think is for certain in that picture Todd. That judge is one of the most well respected young judges in the field trial game!!!! hahaha

The pictures you take at these field trials are fantastic. I really hope you get a few of my young one this summer in the derby.

Hope you had success Saturday @ St. Cloud.

Thanks I really enjoy taking them, and will make it a point to get some of your derby dog this summer.