• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire chain install

Stradic

I ended up getting v-bar chains from sportsman's guide ($40) and was wondering if anybody else has bought them and if there is a trick to installing them. I had my more experienced 4-wheeling buddy come take a look today and he wasn't at all familiar with the the way you are supposed to hook the chains up.

Thanks.

I take the tires off the machine. I lay the chains with the V-bars face down on the garage floor and then set the tire in the middle. Then I rap the chains around the tire, fasten the inside link, fasten the outside link, then I put 1 or 2 bungee straps on the outside only and roll them around a little on the floor to make sure the chain is snug. I find this much easier than trying to do it with the tires on the ATV.

I bought some v-bar chains this year and it was my first time ever putting chains on. I just layed the chains out and set them on top of the tires (while still on the atv). Drove the wheeler ahead a little bit to get the chains under the tires and attached them as tight as I could. Less than 5 minutes I was done. After driving on them a little they loosened up. So I just tightened it another notch and they're good to go. Haven't had any issues. Taking the time to deflate the tires would make it easier to get a really tight fit.

Yeah, I understand everything about deflating the tires and how to mount them, it's the clasp that he had never seen before and didn't know how to tighten. The instructions are of no help so I think I might try that clasp that screws open and looks like a link of chain. I just thought someone might have bought a set from them and had some pointers. I am going to do some more searching on web.

Thanks

The instructions are of no help so I think I might try that clasp that screws open and looks like a link of chain.

Thanks

I did this after the clasp on my tire chains for my garden tractor were damaged. It can be a task to get them tight enough to avoid "chain slap".

I think that LEP is right that if you don't have the leverage clasp/connector on the outside, that you won't get them tight enough. You could always try to lever the links behind the ones you are going to link together with a screwdriver or small bar to get them as tight as possible. What kind of link was provided with the set up??

Fredd must have been watching as I implemented the quick link onto my chains. I used a screw driver to pull the chain together to get the links together. Of course being careful not to puncture a tire.

After much swearing, I get them fastened and they still end up loose. Guess that's the price I pay for being too cheap to buy new chains. blush

That "screen door" handle you are refering to does go on the outside like you said....

This is going to be hard to explain in words...

the end of the "handle" not connected to the chain is made to slide through the chain link that is coming around the tire that you are trying to attach it to....slide it all the way through the link then bring it back around 180 degrees and it should have a little hook on the end so when you bring it back around it will hook onto the chain rather tightly.

That might be hard to visualize so sorry if its not any help, I just didnt know how to put the instructions into words without a picture

I have been using the V-bar chains on my ATVs for 10 years now. The two best tricks I found were; 1. Circle ring and spring tensioning system that Fleet Farm supplies. They keep spring tension by applying tension at 4-points on the out side of the tire, thus keeping the chains tight. 2. using a simple cable tie to fasten down the excess chain end to prevent it from flapping.