• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Score one point for BNS the assist to Sham and I picked up the errror

merkman

Had a good time spearing today.

I played host to the purveyor of the CM Wiggle Bait Co and one of his friends today.

Had fun swimming the finless wiggle decoy.

It is definitely different but I love how they swim!!

I was too lazy to clean fish so I look and released all day.

Had a couple very nice pike come in the hole, saw a very nice bass, and a first for me, a school of bullheads. Eight or ten bullheads were swarming my bearcreek golden pike.

I may have seen the white tip of a walleye today to, I couldn’t quite make it out but it looked like it. That is pretty big for the lake I spear on. There are very few walleyes in there.

That was pretty cool

It was getting near the end of the day so I rigged my bear creek up BNS style and put the Sham cisco down on the other side to complete the FM decoy configuration.

One spin of the cisco and small northern came sliding into the hole intent on the BNS rig. I watched him for a while then decided I might try a batch of pickled northern so I might as well throw once today.

Yep you guessed it, missed it by a mile.

Ohh well no fish to clean today!!!

Today that is not a bad thing.

Had a wonderful time watching the fish move today.

Its good that your seeing fish, more than I can say. This is by far the slowest year spearing for me, that I can remember. Aside from the one day that the big girl showed up, it's been very poor. All that being said, I can't wait to get back out tomorrow. Maybe I can get my first of the year eek

Its good that your seeing fish, more than I can say. This is by far the slowest year spearing for me, that I can remember.

I am having a real good year this year.

I have taken 3 fish already this year. One more than last year and the season isn't close to being over yet. smile

I am going to check out another small lake near me that is supposed to be very clear some time next week.

If you feel like driving I know a few lakes around here that can get you on some fish.

Gotta use the Cisco... I'm telling ya!! smile

I can't wait to get back out tomorrow. Maybe I can get my first of the year eek

I hope so too!!!

I will be crossing my fingers for ya.

I am going to try to get some video tomorrow.

The darn fish are so camera shy this year.

Every time I bring my camera I don't see fish. lol

I might have to break down and get a live minnow.

All my fish this year have come into the hole for the live decoy. They will get close for the fakes but nowhere close to being in range of spearing.

With out the live the fish are just way too skittish for me this year.

It seems you have to jig hard to get them in but not too hard that you scare them once they are interested.

On one lake Spearhead seen more fish than me using only fakes though.

I went to the BNS setup and they don't seem to spook on that for me so far.

Tomorrow I am going to try out the 30 inch Mike Da Pike with a BNS set up. Just to see if something will come in on that.

Then I will switch it over to 2 BNS setups in the same hole.

1 small decoy under the bear creek golden pike on one side

and

1 small decoy under the bear creek red and whie on the other side

Last 2 days I havent been throwing the spear just watching. My dad came with this morning and jigged outta my hole and caught some. Yesterday saw a fish that was around 15 LB and let it swim. Lots of fish around 2 pounds coming through. But after today I have seen 85 northerns in 8 times out, and thats not spearing for that long each time out. Its been awesome.

Merkman, Can you explain the BNS set up a little more please. Is Bear Creek the brand name of a decoy?

Yes Bear Creek is the brand name of the decoy.

I run a string with a small loop and a large loop on each end.

I pass the small loop though the top of the swivel on the live decoy harness then pass the large loop though the small loop to fasten the string to the live decoy harness.

Then the large loop goes over the fake decoys front fins and I connect the snap swivel though the fake decoy eyelet and make sure the large loop is inside the snap swivel also this makes sure everything stays together.

2237517797_6eb3da6e61_b.jpg

that set up is as red neck as the HBS laugh

No really that is anwsome way to set up adecoy rig I have also done it and I have stacked 2 live decoys on the same line that was intresting to watch because one decoy is always stronger than the other so there is a battle in which way they swim and the pike ussallt come to the weaker one funny how that works.