• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera advice....

Anyone own or used the newer Canon SX20 IS?

I'm thinking of getting this camera to extend my range. I've got a good camera for taking pictures of clients, shooting good catches or kills, but want something that has good macro capabilities and some good range. The 20x zoom looks good, and the IS will help some at the longer ranges I assume. This would be for shooting cleaner family pics and wildlife, with the occassional trip out w/ me on the ice or in the boat.

Advice? Other cameras in that class that you'd rec. instead?

Matt, we just picked up a SX IS series P&S and really like it. It's a little older than the 20, but it's got a great combination of simplicity (it does really well on automatic settings) and sophistication, and you are right about the zoom and IS. I'd recommend it for sure.

I had looked at the SX200 model, but I am thinking the zoom won't quite be enough for the wildlife stuff I want to shoot. I think that one had 10x zoom? It did great on macro shots, and it was all fully automatic. The SX20 is only $70 more right now though, with an instant rebate until the 16th. Thinking it would be worth it...

My parents bought a Kodak PS 10x zoom around six monthes ago and boy do I wish I could have talked them into a Cannon, while shooting in Auto indoors alot of there photo's are blurry, I checked and most of them are around 1/30th. or lower. I would think that the shutter speed should be hight than that?

Sound like Cannon is the way to go.

Bought my daughter a Canon SD1200IS a couple month's ago($179.95).It's small & has great zoom & pic quality for it's size.I see now they went down to $149.95, just my luck! Oh well, great camera & she needed it for a concert.

We have a SX10 IS, and love it for quick casual shots. The zoom is just 10X, and it does very well. The one thing I would caution you about, and forgive me if you already know this, is to rely only on the optical zoom - if you continue zooming in you are using the digital zoom and you'll look quality in your images. Have fun - be sure to post some images!