• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I don't think there's any significant difference 'tween 26 & 28.

Some guys like longer bbl's for swinging. I prefer a shorter bbl. I had a 28in Citori and a 26in and got rid of the 28 ... and those are O/U's.

If you're looking at a 28in pump or automatic, that's a very long gun.

I have the Xtrema with a 28" barrel. I would have bought the 26 but the gun was on sale and only available with 28" barrel. I like shorter barrels.

Heh! ... great minds think alike ... I just got an Xtrema a couple years ago ... I believe it's a 26in.

I've heard that for waterfowl you would want to go with a longer barrel for a tighter pattern. Is this true anymore with steel shot having a tighter pattern than lead? Swinging a 26" is nice. Are there any disadvantages with a 26" instead of 28"?

The length of your barrel has nothing to do with pattern, distance, so on and so forth. Pattern will be determined obviously by the choke that you choose. Different length barrels on different guns will swing different and feel better/worse for different people.

A 28" barrel on a pump or semi isn't a "very long gun". My original 870 has a 28" (got that one bought for me so didn't have a choice) and my Super Black Eagle that I shoot now is a 28". The 28" is just what felt right for me. Now with that said, my dad shoots a 26" Browning Citori and that feels better to me then swinging a 28" over/under so go figure??

I'd go with what feels best for you.

I would go with the shortest barrel. You are really only talking about doing wing shooting on ducks. Rabbits, grouse, even turkey, will be better with a shorter barrel. You will get quicker, more responsive swings. You also will have less barrel to get hung up in brush.

I have a Beretta AL390 with a 30 inch barrel and another Al390 with a 24 inch barrel. I shoot both of them about the same on the trap range, but the 24 inch is definitely quicker on the draw.

I have a Beretta AL390 with a 30 inch barrel and another Al390 with a 24 inch barrel.

I shoulda researched it more ... if I had it to do over again, I'd definitely go with a 24!

Then again, with the Citori around, my Beretta don't get out much. whistle

When I bought the gun, I was really hesitant about the 24 inch barrel, going from a 30 to 24 is pretty extreme, but the price was right and I liked the gun so much I bought it anyway. It is fun to shoot and great to carry around, I don't have near the trouble with it getting snagged in brush or on other things that I do with the 30 incher. It looks alot like a slug barrel.