• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clothing

Esox_Magnum

Ok got the new toy now realizing I need/want clothing to be able to enjoy it. Right now wearing my Carhart Extreme Bibs and keep me warm but not dry, wet butt sucks. Evolved to wearing my Guide Ware under that now dry and still warm but more bulk. I start my base layer with UA and just sweats, up top a polypropolenee shirt over the UA and a sweatshirt topped with my Guide Ware jacket. Hands are my biggest problem, even with heated grips, no thumb warmer, my fingertips get cold, I'm talking tingeling cold. Just wearing my leather work gloves so far. Feet are fine, Patagonia socks and Columbia Titanium Bugaboos keep the toes toasty.

Whats good out there that wont break a bank and keep a guy warm and dry. Also what to stay away from. I would love a leather set but thats crazy expensive.

I have evolved a system that works good for me. First, you want a layer that is warm but breathes, and stays warm when sweaty. Cotton does not work for this. Try a lightweight fleece shirt with a high neck that can be unzipped on warm days. The stuff is a great invention! Next, lose the Carharts and invest in a set of bibs that are designed for sledding and will keep your butt dry. That is always an issue, especially in new snow. I have found that despite the initial cost, a jacket designed for riding is well worth the investment. They are completely different than what you wear for fishing or work and are exceptionally wind resistant.

Next, fix that thumb warmer, then buy a nice set of sledding gloves. Again worth the money. If you want to save a little, a good set of mittens will also work well here. The one thing that I have found with sledding is that the clothing is a big expense but a necessary component for enjoying riding!

How hard is it to add a thumb warmer? Grip warmers are great but I have had frostbite before and I'm not what you call a pokey driver, I got a sled that will move I'm going to let it run when I can.

My base layers start out great with the Under Armour Cold Gear, Patagonia socks, polypropelyne long johns top, and fleece after that. It's the top layer and fingers I need to keep warm and wind proof without having to wear out my summer rain gear.

Just what i need 1 more spendy hobby LOL Like muskie fishing doesn't eat enough of my cash.

To bad you have a polaris(hope that didn't come out wrong) I got a nice leather jacket for sledding you could have but its black dark green and light green.The light green realyl sticks out, Artic Cat colors. Doesn't fit anymore. But if your interested let me know. A bit scuffed up but no tears or rips.

Yea, sledding is a spendy one, especially if you like to go fast.

I suggest checking out Shade Tree or Dennis Kirk for online sources of clothing and accessories, or your local dealer may have some specials on last year's clothes. Sledding apparel is fashion driven and out of date clothes will be heavily discounted. Another thing to look for is Gore-Tex in the bibs as it will keep the seat and knees dry. They also work great for fishing! It's amazing how much difference the right bibs, jacket, and gloves will make.

For the thumb warmer check with a dealer for OEM parts. Your sled originally had one and the wiring should still be there. If so, you should be able to just replace the element inside the throttle lever. It's just a mylar foil with a couple of wires that should plug in somewhere. It will make a big difference.

Buy the 3 finger mittens. That way your hands will be warmer, yet you can have two fingers on the brake lever at all times. I would look at flea bay for some snowmobile clothing on sale - I did just that last year... between flea bay and C List I saved about 400 bucks and got stuff that is windproof and warm.

Croix I'm not loyal to any brand if it fits I'll wear it. What size is it? Guess it's time to hit a sled shop and see what I like then hit HSO-Classifieds or EB for what I need. Anyone else have things to part with they no longer use shoot me an e mail [email protected]

I'll have to look at adding the thumb warmer, funny that the company Polaris is in town but no dealers in town. Snowmobile capital of Iowa and not 1 sled shop. Lots of good ideas so far, been out of the game along time and not a clue whats good or bad out there.

Its a large. Here are a few pics. Might be a short fit if your tall with long arms. I'm 5'10 and at the time it fit well I was 185. Snug/tight at 215 its a Chill-Factor sno-ware by FeildSheer

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Not looking to get anything out of it just like to pass it along. It wears like brand new and its warm and definitely keep the wind and snow and rain out. Been sittin in the closet the last 5 years I just didnt know what to do with it after I grew vertically.Ummm maybe it was horrizontal laugh

Sure thing, great to see it go to a good home and get used for what its intended for.. That jacket has saved my but on few occasions. I am more than happy to pass the good fortune along.

I sent you my phone # in a second email as my email may be down tomorrow and the next. Having problems with comcast.

Got it.

Tell ya one of the times that jacket saved my but.

Zipping down the trail on my WildCat going around 60, maybe more grin, at 2 in the morning and I came up on 2 pallets someone put on the trail up right, marked trail at that, slammed on the brakes and I had only one choice veer around and go between two over grown shrubs. And to my surprise there was 2 strands barbed wire there. they went up over the hood tearing the windshield off and catching me in the belly and chest stopped me in my tracks as sled rolled on. That jacket saved me, and no harm to me or the jacket came from it.

Leather is the best way to go for warmth and safety.