• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Sled?

1900_LE

Been out of touch with snowmobiles for at least 10-15 years. I guess with all the snow I'm going to have to buy one if I want to ice fish. So what will be my best bet for say under 1500? Cat, Polaris, Ski-Doo? Advantages to a 2-seater compared to a single seat? Need some good input as I'll be heading to Mn next week to buy one.

Been struggeling with this to, finding a 2up now in that price range in good-excelent shape will be tough. I ended up getting a 95 Polaris XLT Special for $1200. Older unit but runs great, havent had it on the ice yet but should work great. With this snow prices just went up a few hundred. I'll still be looking for a 2up but will wait till spring now and prices to drop.

My last sled was 25 years ago, a 76 JDX8, I think all the brands out there today are good units, always been partial to Polaris since all my quads were by them and I live in Polaris country, but I wouldn't hesitate on any brand if it fits my needs.

The best used sled is one that has been maintained and taken care of properly.

If you plan on using it for fishing, the touring or 2up will come in very handy. Not only will they usually have a longer track, but extra seat room is great for a fishing partner. They usually have some better options for mounting things such as auger racks and hitches.

From what I have read, everyone thinks highly of the 488 Polaris engine.

I too have a 95 xlt works great plenty of power for pulling both sleds. Also added a rack for propane,auger gas can,Ram mount for H2O,windshield bag. If you could find a used Polaris Widetrack that would be an outstanding fishing machine.With all the new snow a snowmobile is going to be the way to get around.

004-3.jpg

Found a 98 arctic cat ZL 440 in Kansas. Guy is asking 1400 said he would take 1200. Has 3900 miles on it, studded track, 2 small tears in seat, which from what I've read on adds is about normal. 2 small cracks in hood. Does this sound like a good price?