• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard not winterized...still outside

CALVINIST

I have a 15hp Johnson Seahorse. I usually run Stabil in the fuel mixture of my outboard before putting it away for the year and then run it out of gas before putting it away. Unfortunately this year I was busy with alot of things and before I knew it I couldn't run the fuel out of it because it was so late in the year. Right now it's in the garage.

Just wondering if this will cause a problem? Anything I can do once I get it mounted on the boat this spring to flush out the bad fuel? I plan on bringing it in the house this weekend.

I would think at this point, water in the lower unit is the biggest concern which won't matter once inside. I am not a big fan of running carbs dry, but without stabil in it you run the risk of the little bit of fuel separating and gumming up the carb. However, mixed gas seems to weather the fuel separating issue better. You will know next spring if you need a carb cleaning which wouldn't be the worst anyway. I'd just leave it and plan on cleaning the carbs next spring.

If you want to drain the carb there should be a brass plug on the bottom/side that you can unscrew and it will drain. I would also drain the lower unit so if it has any water that got inside, it will not crack the housing. Although it maybe too late for that already. You could also spray some fogging oil in the cylinders and roll it over a little by hand spread it around.

Not going to be a drain screw on that carb. At this point as mentioned earlier, the lower unit would be the biggest concern. Bring it in, let it warm up and drain it then refill it. Deal with the carb in the spring if you have problems.

Like said, the lower unit is the biggest worry. At least check the level and the color of the lube if it looks fresh I feel you will be ok leaving it in the garage till spring. As for the carbs I also feel you will be ok. Many times I have been lazy and not fogged the engine or conditioned the fuel and I have yet had problems in the spring, knock on wood. Even with my small engines like chainsaws Demolition saws and what knot.

Not saying its not worth winterizing just saying its not the end of the world and the odds are with you for nothing going wrong in the spring.