• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Waters with Northern Pike Slot Limits

merkman

The following is a partial list of Minnesota Waters with Northern Pike Slot Limits.

If you darkhouse spear these waters be very careful to "know before you throw".

It is very important to know before you throw.

If you find yourself in the situation of spearing a slot limit pike (even it it was unintentional) you are instructed by the MnDNR to call a CO and report yourself.

You may face fines, jail time, and/or a criminal record.

If you do not want to take that risk, or do not feel confident in your skills to identify a slot limit pike underwater (without a bump board or a tail pinch), please stay off these lakes.

Please remember the purpose of this post is informational only.

Please do not use this thread to discuss the pros or cons of darkhouse spearing and if it should be allowed or not or to discuss the effectiveness of slot limits.

This is an informational post to inform the darkhouse spearing public and newcomers to our sport about the current regulations.

I have been working with the MnDNR staff to make this list as clean and accurate as possible, however if there is incorrect information here please let me know and I will update it.

This list is not an end all be all, it is only a guide. In all cases check the regulations, statutes and or MnDNR personnel for the latest information.

Thanks

4189984925_0664d06c1a_o.jpg

These are great proactive posts Merk. In fact I think that we should get Admin to sticky them to the top for an easy reference.

Thanks

Please let me know if any corrections need to be made.

It is my first time publishing a list like this and with all the sources of information it gets ugly quick.

One way to clean it up is to have many "eyes" editing it.

Thanks for the information. My only question for the DNR would be what effect if any do these overall slots have on the pike size within the protected lakes. It seems like it is designed to deter spearing on certain lakes shifting spearing pressure to other lakes and so what? spearing doesn't effect the pike population of any lake because the harvest is small compared to angling or so I've heard. I have heard slots on some lakes

have not made a difference in overall size but the slots are still in effect after several years of restrictions.

Thanks for the information. My only question for the DNR would be what effect if any do these overall slots have on the pike size within the protected lakes. It seems like it is designed to deter spearing on certain lakes shifting spearing pressure to other lakes and so what? spearing doesn't effect the pike population of any lake because the harvest is small compared to angling or so I've heard. I have heard slots on some lakes

have not made a difference in overall size but the slots are still in effect after several years of restrictions.

Those are very good questions, and would make a very good separate thread.

I don't want to get into all the ins and outs of it on this thread, because these are the regulations we currently have to work with and I wouldn't want to see this informational post turn ugly and/or be removed.

But by all means those issues should be discussed in a civilized manner in another tread.

merkman I looked at the reg book and found some more to add.

west battle lake (ottertail co.) p. 27

north twin lake (beltrami co.) p.35

pearl lake (stearns co.) p. 35 new this year

three island lake (beltrami co.) p. 38

big and little turtle lake (beltrami co.) p. 39

turtle river lake (beltrami co.) p.39

twentyone lake (ottertail co.) p.39

vermillion lake (st. louis co.) p.39 you did list little vermillion already.

wabedo lake (cass co.) p.39

white iron lake (st louis & lake co.) p.39

woman lake (cass co.) p.40

These are great proactive posts Merk. In fact I think that we should get Admin to sticky them to the top for an easy reference.

Agreed. This would a great thing to have at the top for people to reference all the time.

Aaron