• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A couple cool videos

lifterpuller

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a big fish dying to go in the pan and a big fish dying to go to the taxi.

Fundamentally the same.

Pan - Eat the meat, throw away the skin.

Taxi - (Most times) Use the skin, throw away the meat.

Dead is Dead.

The only way I personally have an issue is if any fish is thrown away, either right away or after 6-12 months in the freezer.

For me killing an animal for meat is one thing, killing an animal for sport is something I don't quite understand.

Nature takes care of the fish that are killed and released but guess I still have an issue with that.

My bottom line on all this is only kill it if you are going to use it.

Yes I agree with Merkman. Thus the obvious nature of spearing.

BTW I realize the first vid is not really "The Giant" they act like it is, just some decent footage of mother nature making a couple of grown men all giddy. Which I think is cool.

I have angled/tip upped fish that size and a little bigger. Certainly you guys who put in a lot of time have caught or speared much bigger fish that are truly world class. Personally, with my limited spearing experience I know I would be pretty stoked to spear a 40" regardless if it was going to be eaten or mounted.

Yes, It is amazing that just seeing a large pike in the hole can make "grown men all giddy".

I think it is much like deer hunting. Where some hunters enjoy "being out there" more than taking a large deer, or any deer for that mater.

I don't like venison so I don't hunt deer.

However, I have relatives that hunt every year.

One of them always says he is waiting for the big one to come.

He never takes a deer, but he has shown me photos that he took from his stand of some very nice deer.

My Dad on the other hand is of the old school thinking that you are out there for meat. He shoots the first legal deer that comes in range, and he enjoys eating venison.

I am OK with both of these ways of hunting even though I don't hunt deer.

To be honest both of them get just as "giddy", one over the photos and one over just being able to have venison for the table.

My feelings for darkhouse spearing are the same. I personally would rather look and release these big girls, but I don't have a problem with people taking the occasional large pike if they are going to use it.

I am just happy that we all have the opportunity to darkhouse spear, hunt, fish, trap, etc etc.

I'm not here to argue about it, there's plenty of that going on in other forums.

Dead is dead and that might be fundamently the same. However, I would think that if you're going to spear a 40" pike to fry it up and eat it, you may as well let it swim and spear the next 3, 22-24" pike that come in and have the same amount of meat as that 40" fish did.

If this fish would've been speared and put on the wall I would hope that the fellow who speared it would wait a long, long time to spear another fish that big. But, being he ate it, I would think that the next time a 40" fish comes in that one will be fried up as well.

As I said before to each his own.