• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bullhead decoy... ??

Laska

So im making some bullhead decoys this week, wonding if you guys have ever thought of using them or have tried them and how did they work for you?

My lake is full of them, and Im trying to match the natural food of the pike so what better than to carve some bullhead deaks.

Side1

IMG00031-20091214-1429.jpg

Side2

IMG00027-20091214-1402.jpg

Bottom side

IMG00028-20091214-1428.jpg

Top veiw

IMG00029-20091214-1428.jpg

Fins r glued and I carved this guys brother tonight, also got a goby and a loon in progress, anyone got any ideas for thing to carve? I want them to be used so it has to be realistic but any body style fish I can always paint a different color

Gluin the fins tonight along with putin in the weight hole, whiskers r going to be made of rubber roofing smile have some left from the shack smile

Looking good.

Quick tip: I put the lead cavity in first and run the fins into the cavity. Then I pin them in and once it's leaded they're in for good.

Fins r glued and I carved this guys brother tonight, also got a goby and a loon in progress, anyone got any ideas for thing to carve? I want them to be used so it has to be realistic but any body style fish I can always paint a different color

bullhead in chartuse/red grin

So hopefully in the next 2 days ill be there proud owner of a rick whittier bullhead decoy!! Ill be using it if I get... then hope that nothing zings in and bites it... That would suck... But I gotta try it once...

Well I got the whiskers on, lead is in, it swims AWSOME!!! Im thinkin of making it a yellow bullhead, Im working on his brother today, which will be a crazy color, maybe painted like a leopard frog idk...

IMG00045-20091216-1229.jpg

Another view... Eyelet is in the top fin, this thing is def coming together...

IMG00044-20091216-1229.jpg

Nice work, Laska. Northerns often eat bullheads, especially in the winter time as bullheads are more lethargic and stir up the bottom a lot, making them easy to find and target. I speared a pike once with a bullhead in the stomach and both fins were spread into the sides of the pike. They looked like tent posts pushing the sides out--couldn't have been comfortable! I made a bullhead decoy last year that works/swims great--will try to find a pic, I have one somewhere. Keep us posted!

So the 1st bullhead is near done.... Just polished the fins now so I can clear coat it and give it another swim, I might have a problem now cuz for some reason its completly balanced out of the water like level after I put the whiskers on... who knows ill keep ya guys posted here are some other deaks Im workin on this week...

Bullhead with new paint!

IMG00049-20091217-1228.jpg

New goby... Merk this is what yours is turning out like...

IMG00050-20091217-1234.jpg

Sgt. Swim Decoy- Look at the top fin... looks like a drill instructor

IMG00051-20091217-1234.jpg

Mini Sunfish...

IMG00052-20091217-1235.jpg

Bullheads brother Bob... No whiskers yet

IMG00053-20091217-1237.jpg

And Im trying a realistic Perch... Body turned out awsome...

IMG00054-20091217-1237.jpg

Nice work, Laska. Northerns often eat bullheads, especially in the winter time as bullheads are more lethargic and stir up the bottom a lot, making them easy to find and target. I speared a pike once with a bullhead in the stomach and both fins were spread into the sides of the pike. They looked like tent posts pushing the sides out--couldn't have been comfortable! I made a bullhead decoy last year that works/swims great--will try to find a pic, I have one somewhere. Keep us posted!

Thx for the info, thats kinda what I was thinking, my lake is FULL of bullheads and why not try to match the bait right? hope to see your pic! Im only 7hours away from winning a Rick Whittier bullhead... Im pumped...

Lol we have ice now merk 8inches on the backwaters, probably 4 or 5 on the lake here in town, you guys r more than welcome to come on down, I gotta place right here in town I'd like to try, no small northerns on this lake tho...

Jiggin send me an email

Laskasmarine at yahoo . Com