• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Value of a 99 Sportsmen 500

Whopper Stopper

I am considering upgrading my 99 Sportsmen 500. It is in good shape always stored under a roof. Anyone have an idea of what it is worth. Looking at some other auction boards it would appear to be worth about $2000- $2500. I guess I thought this was pretty high. I thought maybe some one on this board would have an idea.

Also I have no brand loyalty, so what are considered the top ATV's out there. I want something in the 700 class maybe bigger. I also don't intend to get a Ford Chevy riot going. If someone would rather not get blasted on the board please e-mail at mp_mottl at q.com. Thanks for any help or tips. I appreciate it.

WS

as the others have mentioned, the price seems fair for a machine that's in good condition.

As far as what brand to look at in the 700 class:

Can Am Outlander 650: Will be a great machine for hunting, ice fishing, light duty work, light trail riding.

Pros:

Tons of power that will embarass most other brand's larger machines.

Good 4x4 system, although not the best IMO.

EFI

IRS

Power Steering (there has been a recall)

Cons:

You'll need to take a second mortgage on the house to buy one unless your name is Bill Gates.

Yamaha Grizzly 700:

Pros:

reliability

good power

power steering

IRS

EFI

Locking front differential

Affordable

Cons:

Ape Hanger handle bars (This is my only beef with the Yamaha design) The ergonomics are actually really good. Don't let appearance fool you.

Suzuki King Quad 750:

Pros:

reliability

good power

power steering

IRS

EFI

locking front differential

Affordable

Cons:

Although it wasn't a KQ, I used to have a Vinson (sans the powersteering of course). The steering was incredibly light and a rider could find themselves in a heap of trouble. Some of the KQ models early on were the same way. Powersteering should help correct that giving the rider more control.

Kawasaki Brute Force 650/750:

Pros:

Choice of IRS or SRA.

Excellent motor (the only other V-Twin in the group besides the Can Am)

EFI

Locking front differential (pull a lever vs. a push button)

Affordability

Cons:

Has been criticized for the hard steering compared to the competition.

4X4 system is a love it or hate it (pull a lever to lock it in)

Arctic Cat 650/700:

Pros:

IRS

EFI

Locking front differential

You can buy a 'Legal in Minnesota' designated mudding machine.

If you're a farmer, it's available in a Diesel

TBX model has a box on it for your ice fishing gear

IMO, ties with Polaris for the best rack system on the market.

Just a great all around work machine

Cons:

AC just doesn't get the respect they deserve mad

They almost compare to Can Am for cost

Polaris Sportsman 550(X2)/800/850XP:

Pros:

800 is avaialble in 6x6 configuration (has a box like the Cat TBX)

IRS

EFI

Powesteering on the 550SP and the 850XP

One of the best 4x4 systems on the market (IMO)

Dump box on the 550X2 like the AC TBX

Cons:

'Some' people have had reliability issues (Not all)

weight

Looking at the information above, you can see that all of the machines have their similarities. Thus the reason you should get out and drive each one to see which has the best features, fit/ergonomics.

Some of the machines will have a 2" receiver style hitch on the back making it easier to unhook the trailer at the access, hook onto the wheeler and continue on to your fishing hole or hauling out your tools to work on a food plot or hauling deer and/or hunters out of the woods.

I'm personally not brand loyal and when the time comes to purchase my next ATV, it will either be a Cat or a Grizzly.

Brands that have passed through my stable in some form or another (not all utility machines) are:

Polaris

Suzuki

Honda

Kawasaki

Bombardier (Can Am)

Notice I didn't put Honda in the list above. The reason for this is Honda doesn't have a "true" utility machine in the 700 class. The only offering they have that is close is the Rincon which is more of a sport utility/trail machine. I don't feel I would want to trust the transmission pulling a load like the machines above are capable of. If you only intend to do lighter work or pulling like going out to the fish house, then I would consider looking into a Rincon. But it will cost you for what you get.

If anyone sees anything that I might have missed, please feel free to add any other info.

Whopper Stopper is looking for good info and not a brand bashing festival. Lets keep this one civil. wink