• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for tripod??

If you go a tad over $100 (about $125) you can get a Manfrotto 7302YB (replaces the 725B), which has an integral ballhead (mighty handy) a quick-release plate (mighty handy II) and will support about 8 pounds of gear in rock solid fashion. It's black aluminum, quite light, and the legs have the flip-locks, which are easier for most to extend than the twist-locks. It also collapses up nice and short.

Any of the big online photography retailers like B&H Photo Video, Canoga Camera or Adorama will have them in stock. Not sure about the other retailers, but Canoga has an instant $10 rebate, so it's $115.

I used a predecessor of this tripod for several years in all conditions, and it is a great value for the money. I paid $112 for mine five years ago, so prices have hardly gone up at all.

I'm glad Meyer8043 asked the question. I would agree on the flip-locks, so your suggestion sounds good. I hate the twist locks on my monopod. My question is, is the quick release plate on the integral ball head compatible with the quick release plate on the Manfrotto 486RC2--which I bought and like after doing a search for recommendations on this site last year? I would like not to have to switch the plate on the camera in order to move from mono to tri-pod.

Mike, if you want a great ball head, you can't go wrong with the Bogen/Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head. It can be configured different ways and it really gives a ton of control when panning with a heavy lens.